2011 Kids' Choice Awards: 5 things we learned
Slime oozed. Armpits farted. And Jack Black hosted. The 24th annual Kids' Choice Awards show was held Saturday night in Los Angeles. It was a kiddie affair that provided lots to mull over (when we weren't shielding our ears from the monsoon of screams). Here's a snapshot:
1) An appearance by Johnny Depp is a huge get for any awards show, sure. And he definitely generated a few shrieks when the scraggly looking actor, who seems to be a regular at the event, accepted the first award of the night for favorite movie actor. But his reception was lukewarm compared with the eardrum-piercing screams that the mostly young crowd unleashed at the mere mention of Big Time Rush. So you can imagine the power of that screaming when the foursome actually performed. Loud. Very, very loud. Who knew a bunch of clean-shaven dudes had more mojo than Mr. Depp? Kids these days.
2) Related to No. 1: We are so darn impressed with the universality of rapper Snoop Dogg. He, of course, is featured in Big Time Rush's song "Boyfriend" and appeared during their performance (he also has appeared on the hit Nickelodeon show). We couldn't help but be in awe as Snoop stood placidly rapping because all we could think about was what was to come from his collaboration with Charlie Sheen, who just happened to kick off his one-man show Saturday night in Detroit. Judging from the reception, Charlie would have benefited from having the Nick stars open for him.
3) The Oscar-hosting brouhaha involving James Franco might have been a moot point had he and actress Anne Hathaway taken the Jack Black approach. Black opened the event by dancing to Black Eyed Peas "I've Got a Feeling" in a flame-patterned jumpsuit. OK. Maybe that would have made things worse for Franco.
4) There are few things more cringe-worthy than someone constantly reminding their Facebook friends about their impending birthday, but here is one of them: Eddie Murphy, whose birthday is Sunday, encouraged thousands of people to sing the birthday song to him. What’s worse? He was the one leading them in the tune. Awkward.
5) We also discovered that (occasional) “Gossip Girl” actress Taylor Momsen is capable of wearing a semi-child-friendly outfit!
-- Yvonne Villarreal
Photo: Jack Black "performing" with Black Eyed Peas. Credit: Reuters