Feds seize additional computers in Kinde Durkee case
Federal prosecutors have seized several additional computers as part of their investigation into allegations that campaign treasurer Kinde Durkee misused the political funds of clients, according to documents released Monday.
The seizures were cited as a reason for seeking another month's delay in a preliminary hearing in the case. A hearing that had been scheduled for Tuesday in federal court has now been set for March 16.
"The investigation has continued, and since the last continuance in this case, the government has seized a significant number of computers which need to be processed," said a court filing by Assistant U.S. Atty. John K. Vincent. The filing does not identify whose computers were confiscated. "The government needs additional time to review, analyze, and synthesize materials that it has obtained during the course of this investigation," the filing said.
Durkee was arrested in September and accused of mail fraud. Prosecutors allege she misspent $677,000 from the campaign account of Assemblyman Jose Solorio (D-Santa Ana) for personal expenses, including a trip to Disneyland.
With nearly 100 candidates having used Durkee as a treasurer, investigators expanded their probe to examine her handling of other campaign committees, including those of U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) and state Sen. Lou Correa (D-Santa Ana). Durkee’s attorney, Daniel Nixon, agreed to the continuance. He was not immediately available for comment.
-- Patrick McGreevy in Sacramento