Keep your pet safe this Fourth of July
Although dogs and cats (like the stars of our Patriotic Pets photo gallery) might enjoy tolerate dressing up for the occasion, they certainly won't like noisy fireworks displays. The ASPCA offers this advice:
- Never use fireworks around pets! While exposure to lit fireworks can potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws of curious pets, even unused fireworks can pose a danger. Many types contain potentially toxic substances, including potassium nitrate, arsenic and other heavy metals.
- Loud, crowded fireworks displays are no fun for pets, so please resist the urge to take them to Independence Day festivities. Instead, keep your little guys safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home.
The ASPCA also warns that common items found around the Fourth can be harmful to pets and cautions owners to keep items like alcohol, sunscreen, insect repellent, citronella candles, matches and lighter fluid safely out of pets' reach. For more tips, check out the ASPCA's Fourth of July safety tips online.
-- Lindsay Barnett
Photo: Karen / Your Scene