Kelly Pavlik-Paul Williams fight postponed
A rescheduled date likely will be a contentious point of negotiation between Pavilk's promoter, Bob Arum, and Williams' promoter, Dan Goossen.
Pavlik was reexamined this week after previously undergoing surgery to remove a left finger tendon that had been infected by staph.
Arum told The Times today that the finger needs "one of two more weeks" to fully heal and allow Pavlik to successfully make a fist.
Goossen railed when Pavlik's injured caused a earlier delay, and Arum says he expects a similar reaction this time.
Arum said he expects HBO, which was going to televise the bout, to be distressed as well. But he assured all parties that the injury is legitimate. "The kid wants to fight more than anything, but he's hurt," Arum said.
[UPDATED 3:01 p.m.: Pavlik's promoter, Top Rank, released the following statement regarding the postponement: "This morning we were advised that Kelly Pavlik's recovery of his left hand has not progressed as projected by Dr. Peter J. Evans, Director of the Cleveland Clinic Upper Extremity Center,” said Todd duBoef, president of Top Tank, Pavlik’s promoter. “As a result of this Kelly is unable to close his left hand which prohibits him from being prepared for a December 5 middleweight championship defense against Paul Williams.
“We at Top Rank are disappointed by this unexpected development in his recovery. Once Pavlik is cleared medically by Dr. Evans we will pursue all avenues with regards to a future bout.]
-- Lance Pugmire
Photo: Kelly Pavlik, left, and Paul Williams stare down each other at a press conference on Sept. 29. Credit: Ed Mulholland / US Presswire