24 Frames

Movies: Past, present and future

« Previous Post | 24 Frames Home | Next Post »

Farts and darts: A new 'Jackass' coming to theaters soon?

October 18, 2010 |  4:14 pm

Jackass
Worried that you’ll have to wait a few years for the next collection of antics from Johnny Knoxville and the “Jackass” crew? Don’t fret — it will likely be only a few months.

After the blockbuster opening of “Jackass 3-D,” which sold $50.4 million worth of tickets in the U.S. and Canada over the weekend, Paramount Pictures is considering what to do with a wealth of footage that didn’t make the big-screen cut.

To hear it from “Jackass” ringmaster and star Knoxville, the production filmed so much material that there’s easily enough to create a sequel from what was left on the cutting-room floor.

“We shot two movies' worth of footage,” Knoxville said. “We have so many bits that we never even turned in to Paramount because we were so swamped with ideas — funny stuff. The bits were just coming out of us left and right.”

Paramount had been planning to use the extra footage for an online follow-up similar to “Jackass 2.5,” which hit the Web three months after “Jackass Number Two” was released in theaters in September 2006.

But after the unexpectedly huge opening of “Jackass 3-D,” which nearly doubled the $29-million launch of its predecessor, the studio is mulling other options, including a second theatrical release. A person familiar with the situation said that Paramount will likely decide about where and when to release the “Jackass 3-D” follow-up in the next few days.

According to Stephen “Steve-O” Glover, one of the best bits that failed to make the cut in the new film involves a man named Will the Farter using his, uh, talent with a blowgun to launch darts at a target painted on Glover’s face.

“How are you going to leave out the scene where a guy farts darts into another guy’s face?” Glover said. “You know you’re working with some high-quality material if you’re leaving something like that out.”

Of course, with “Jackass 3-D” on track to gross more than $100 million, Paramount executives will likely want more than just a follow-up filled with deleted scenes.

Asked about the possibility of full-fledged sequels a few days before “3D” came out, the director of all three “Jackass” movies, Jeff Tremaine, explained that cast and crew have filmed every movie as if it will be their final one and had no plans to shoot more.

But he also said that even though several cast members are approaching their 40s, age in and of itself would not be a barrier to future filming.

“It doesn’t take a whole lot of skill to do what these guys do,” Tremaine said. “As long as they’re brave enough to do it, they can go on as long as they want.”

— Ben Fritz and Chris Lee

Photo: The "Jackass" gang at the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. (Clockwise from top left: Chris Pontius, Steve-O, Ehren McGhehey, Ryan Dunn, Jason "Wee Man" Acuna, Jeff Tremaine, Dave England, Johnny Knoxville, Bam Margera, and Preston Lacy). Credit Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times.


 
 

Comments