Lil Wayne reportedly released from L.A. hospital
Lil Wayne has been released from a Los Angeles hospital after suffering a seizure last week, according to the president of the rapper's label.
"Thanks to Cedar Sinai for everything!!!" Young Money President Mack Maine tweeted Monday night. "@LilTunechi has been officially been released and is headed home....God is great."
Lil Tunechi is Lil Wayne's nickname and Twitter handle.
As The Times' Pop & Hiss reported:
The news of Lil Wayne's discharge followed a weekend of intense speculation over the condition of the rapper, who had been admitted to Cedars-Sinai on March 12 after having a seizure, according to an associate.
TMZ reported Friday that Lil Wayne was near death, but that evening a message appeared on the rapper's Twitter account declaring, "I'm good everybody." (The note was retweeted more than 192,000 times.)
Addressing rumors that Lil Wayne's seizure had been triggered by an overdose of prescription cough medicine, Birdman said Monday in an interview with the New York radio DJ Angie Martinez that "it had nothing to do with drugs."
"To me, honestly, it's his work ethic," he said. "How hard he works. How much dedication he gives to his music and his fans." Birdman added that Lil Wayne "just needs to get some rest and relax. He'll be back, normal, like everyone else."
One of rap and hip-hop's biggest stars, the 30-year-old Grammy winner — born Dwayne Michael Carter Jr. — is scheduled to release his 10th album next week.
— From a Times staff writer