Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Chula Vista teen dies after watching Internet video on passing out

September 26, 2012 |  2:38 pm

A 15-year-old boy in Chula Vista has died after watching an Internet video about passing out through hyperventilation, police said Wednesday.

The boy fell face down on a large glass tumbler, which then shattered, and shards of glass lacerated the teen's throat, police said. The family attempted to stop the bleeding and called firefighters, but the boy died at Rady Children's Hospital in San Diego, police said.

Two friends had watched the video with the teenager before the incident Tuesday night. Drugs and alcohol were not involved, police said.

"While videos depicting this type of activity are available from various Internet sources, all present the risk of serious injury or death if attempted," said Chula Vista police Capt. Gary Wedge. He encouraged parents to discuss the risks with their children.


Two found dead, two injured after fight in Los Feliz

Cameras for park where teen was shot are stalled at City Hall

O.C. jailer arrested for allegedly videotaping up woman's skirt

— Tony Perry in San Diego