San Pedro landslide: No single factor to blame, experts say
Experts say they can't point to a single factor that caused last year's dramatic landslide in San Pedro, according to a new report released by L.A. city officials.
The experts said precipitation, irrigation, erosion, residential development and the recent moving of underground utilities -- including a sewage pipe -- all likely played a role.
City officials are considering several short-term measures and long-term fixes for the area, including leaving a crumbled road closed permanently, moving it higher or building a $60-million bridge.
The land has shown no measurable movement in the months since a landslide on Nov. 20. The area was closed in March ahead of a weekend of anticipated heavy rains.
"There might be a point when [the bluff] hasn't moved in six months or a year when it might be safe to go in and clean it up," Los Angeles City Deputy Engineer Vincent Jones told the Daily Breeze.
-- KTLA News