Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Passenger of Ferrari that split in half in 2006 is arrested again

June 11, 2012 | 11:11 am

Click for more photos of the shattered Ferrari

The passenger of a Ferrari that split in half six years ago after a collision on Pacific Coast Highway was arrested Sunday in Beverly Hills on suspicion of evading police in another super-powered sports car.

The car was allegedly traveling at such high speeds that Beverly Hills police officers trying to make a traffic stop were unable to pursue him, authorities said.

Officers said they were trying to pull over Trevor Michael Karney, 32, on Sunday to notify him about a restraining order when he fled, said Beverly Hills police Lt. Mark Rosen.

PHOTOS: Ferrari shattered

"He took off at a high rate of speed and blew us out so there was never a pursuit," Rosen said. Karney was positively identified as being behind the wheel of the Mercedes, according to Rosen.

Rosen said officers gathered information that Karney had returned to the city and quickly detained him. Karney was booked on suspicion of felony evasion and outstanding traffic warrants, authorities said. He was booked shortly before midnight into the Beverly Hills jail. He remains in custody in lieu of $300,000 bail.  

In 2007, Karney was arrested after a 17-month search for him following a high-speed crash that left a $1-million Ferrari Enzo in pieces in Malibu.

Karney was a passenger in the Ferrari and was arrested on misdemeanor charges of drunk driving, resisting arrest by delaying a police officer and giving false information to a police officer.

Authorities determined that Karney was the fictitious "Dietrich" who fled after the Feb. 21, 2006, crash that left the Ferrari -- one of only 400 ever built -- strewn in pieces over 1,200 feet of Pacific Coast Highway.

Investigators allege that he hid out in Ireland before recently sneaking back into the U.S. through Mexico.

Sheriff's deputies estimated that the Ferrari was going 120 mph when it slammed into a power pole and split in half. The driver -- Bo Stefan Eriksson -- escaped with a bloody nose.

Initially, Eriksson, a Swedish businessman and playboy, told investigators that a German he knew only as Dietrich had been driving. He ran up a hill toward a canyon road and disappeared after the crash, Eriksson said.

Deputies responding to the crash encountered Karney at the scene. He told them he had been traveling along PCH in a Mercedes at the time and also saw Dietrich fleeing. Investigators said they eventually determined Karney was riding in the Ferrari with Eriksson, not driving it.

Karney, who had told authorities that he lived on a yacht in Marina del Rey, disappeared after the crash. Eriksson later pleaded no contest to two counts of embezzlement related to his dealings with exotic cars and one count of illegal possession of a gun. Eriksson was sentenced to three years in prison.


L.A. Kings fans still aglow over Stanley Cup: 'It wasn't a dream'

Jaycee Dugard talks of personal growth in afterword to memoir

John Bryson case: Commerce secretary taking leave to 'focus' on health

-- Richard Winton

Photo:  A deputy passes the wrecked Ferrari that crashed on Pacific Coast Highway west of Decker Canyon Road in 2006.  Credit: Hans Laetz / Malibu Times