Street closed, students checked after chemistry experiment goes awry
School science experiment gone wrong?
A portion of a North Hollywood street was closed Monday after fire officials say a chemical reaction turned vaporous during a “teacher-supervised experiment” at East Valley High School.
No one was hurt, but the Los Angeles Fire Department was evaluating 15 students who were in chemistry lab for "minor complaints" and transferred one student to the hospital, fire department spokesman Brian Humphrey said. He said the chemical has been contained inside a small container and placed under a ventilation hood.
Humphrey called the situation “static” and said it is not expected to escalate.
Vineland Avenue has been closed between Chandler and Burbank boulevards, which borders the school on one side. Students and faculty have been taken to the school gymnasiums, Humphrey said, adding that parents should "stand by" and await contact from the school.
Humphrey said the total number of evacuated staff and students was unclear. Hazardous materials experts were continuing to investigate the third-floor chemistry classroom where the experiment occurred. It was not clear what kind of experiment had been conducted.
No one answered calls placed to the school.
-- Matt Stevens
Image: Approximate location of incident shown in red. Credit: Google Maps