Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Suspects chased Bryan Stow, detective suggests

May 31, 2012 |  1:46 pm


Bryan Stow’s assailants chased him the length of a football field before meting out the brutal beating that left the San Francisco Giants fan permanently brain-damaged, a police detective suggested Thursday in court testimony.

The detective told a judge hearing evidence against two men charged in the Dodger Stadium assault that 368 feet separated a pool of Stow’s blood from the area of the parking lot where a witness saw two intoxicated fans begin sprinting after a group of Giants supporters.

The measurement given by LAPD Det. Barry Telis, one of two lead investigators, indicated prosecutors planned to emphasize that Stow was hunted down rather than participated in a fight.

Louie Sanchez, 30, and Marvin Norwood, 31, are charged with mayhem, assault and felonies in connection with the March 31, 2011, assault after an Opening Day game between the Dodgers and their northern rivals.

The detective’s testimony came on the second day of a proceeding before Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge George Lomeli to determine whether prosecutors have enough evidence to try Sanchez and Norwood.

The judge heard from a Dodger fan who saw what prosecutors contend was the beginning of an assault on Stow.  Anamaria Davila was unable to positively identify Norwood, Sanchez or Stow, but she picked the defendants’ white sedan out of a police lineup.

Davila said she first struck up a conversation with the men after spotting them “packing a bowl of weed” by the trunk of their car.

 “They were drunk. I could smell the alcohol on their breath and they were high,” she said.

A boy and woman were with them, but the men seemed focused on passing Giants fans, Davila said. She recounted them taunting the opposing team’s fans with obscenities. At one point, they ran after a group of teenagers dressed in Giants regalia, she testified.

“They punched one or two of them,” Davila said. The youths, she said,  “were shocked ... and were like, ‘We don’t want any trouble.’”

The two men left the teenagers alone, but a short time later, a group of older Giants fans passed and the men shouted profanities at them, she testified. Davila said the Giants fans kept walking, but after the group passed, the woman with the two men stoked an altercation by pointing at the group and yelling, “They are talking smack! They are talking smack!”

Davila said the two men immediately raced after the Giants group and she lost sight of them. A few minutes later, they returned at a run.

“They were out of breath. One of them had his jersey in his hand. They were saying, ‘Drive! Drive! Drive! Get in the … car,’” Davila recalled.

Prosecutors also read the judge a statement, agreed to by the defense, about Stow’s injuries. He suffered a fractured skull, is unable to walk or carry on a conversation and will require medical care the rest of his life, the statement said.

Defense lawyers for Norwood and Sanchez, who have pleaded not guilty, quizzed Telis, the detective, about investigators’ initial focus on a man named Giovanni Ramirez. Police arrested him in the beating, but later determined he was not involved.

Telis noted that 120 detectives were assigned to work on the Stow case and pursued more than 800 tips. He acknowledged, however, that Ramirez seemed to match police sketches made using the descriptions from Davila and other witnesses.

“He resembled the composite also,” Telis said.


Dennis Rodman barred by restraining order from ex-wife, kids

Brian Banks on upcoming football tryouts: 'I'll make 'em happy'

Sean 'Diddy' Combs' son on UCLA scholarship: 'I put that work in'

-- Harriet Ryan

Photo: Defendant Marvin Norwood, left, with attorney Victor Escobedo and co-defendant Louie Sanchez during the second day of their preliminary hearing in the beating of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium on opening day 2011. Credit: Irfan Khan / Los Angeles Times