Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Autopsy report: Kendrec McDade shot point-blank by Pasadena police

May 11, 2012 |  1:45 pm

Kendrec McDade shot at point-blank range

Nineteen-year-old Kendrec McDade was shot at point-blank range by one Pasadena police officer and handcuffed after being struck by a total of seven bullets, according to the Los Angeles County coroner's office autopsy report released Friday.

Kendrec McDade autopsy reportThe report shows that paramedics were called to the scene immediately after the March 24 shooting and that McDade was "combative" and alert before being taken to Huntington Memorial Hospital, where he died almost 90 minutes later.

Three of the wounds -- two in his abdomen and one in his right arm -- are considered potentially fatal because they lacerated arteries, according to Pasadena police. One bullet entered through the back of the right arm and another the back of the right forearm, the Pasadena Sun reported

DOCUMENTS: Read the autopsy report

McDade, of Azusa, was killed when Pasadena officers Jeff Newlen and Mathew Griffin responded to a report of an armed robbery at a taco truck in Northwest Pasadena. One of the officers pursued him on foot and another from his police cruiser.

The first officer who fired did so while seated inside the patrol car as McDade approached with his hand at his waistband. McDade and the officer were "within a foot" of each other, according to the autopsy report.

After he was shot, authorities determined McDade was unarmed and that the theft victim, Oscar Carrillo, had lied about his assailants having weapons in order to get a quicker response from police.

The officer who was seated inside the patrol car fired four rounds through an open window, according to the autopsy report. The second officer, who was on foot, fired four rounds, believing his partner was involved in a firefight.

Citing an ongoing investigation, Pasadena Lt. Phlunte Riddle declined to comment on the position of the two officers relative to McDade or the report from the coroner's office stating McDade was handcuffed for an unknown period of time.

"Procedurally, until an individual has been deemed to be no further threat , the officer can use discretion to unhandcuff," Riddle said.

In a federal lawsuit McDade's parents, Anya Slaughter and Kenneth McDade, allege that McDade was shot multiple times in the chest, but did not die immediately. McDade tried to speak with the officer, but was handcuffed and started to "twitch" and was left on the street for a prolonged period of time without receiving first aid, according to the suit.

The coroner's report does not shed light on that allegation.


Obama basketball game: ‘Of course George and I won’

Pilot who violated Obama's airspace arrested, sources say

Public tribute to Junior Seau tonight at Qualcomm Stadium

-- Adolfo Flores, Times Community News

Photo: Anya Slaughter holds a picture of her son, Kendrec McDade, during a rally last month in front of City Hall in Pasadena. Credit: Cheryl A. Guerrero / Times Community News