Sale of iconic Balboa Fun Zone carousel falls through
The future of the Balboa Fun Zone carousel is still in limbo after a deal to move the iconic ride to the Westminster area fell through.
Buyers informed Fun Zone Rides owner Patrick Moore that the purchase of the carousel, which had been listed for $149,999 on EBay back in August, would no longer be possible following the collapse of a redevelopment project that was to be the ride's new home, Moore told the Daily Pilot.
Projects statewide have fallen apart after Sacramento decided to disband local redevelopment agencies and keep their funds in state coffers.
"We have spent the last few days retrieving all the pieces and will now start the process of finding a home all over again," Moore emailed told the Daily Pilot. "Since it is now in storage, there is no timeline as to its future.
"Ideally, we would like to find a site on the peninsula. It was clear that the community did not support its removal, Maybe the city would like to be proactive in relocating it. If the peninsula is not in its future, it will again be offered for sale."
The carousel was installed in the Balboa Fun Zone in 1985, but was forced to relocate when the Newport Harbor Nautical Museum, which owns the property that housed the ride, chose not to renew Moore's lease last summer.
The carousel stopped operating Sept. 25, following the Fun Zone's 75th anniversary celebration Sept. 23.
On Nov. 5, more than 50 students from Corona del Mar High School and other local residents staged a protest at the Fun Zone. They carried signs that read "Keep our Culture Alive," "Leave our Fun Zone Alone" and "Don't Harm Our Charm."
-- Sarah Peters, Times Community News
Photo: The Balboa Fun Zone carousel last summer, before its final spin. Credit: Kevin Chang / Times Community News