Two dogs saved from Burbank home where Christmas tree caught fire
A blaze that erupted in a Burbank home Wednesday night after a dry Christmas tree caught fire caused $125,000 in damage, but no injuries were reported.
The fire destroyed the home's living room before firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze shortly after 6 p.m. in the 2000 block of Screenland Drive.
Burbank animal control officers were called in to care for two dogs that firefighters found hiding in a nearby room. The homeowners were apparently away at the time the fire started.
A lamp that was near the dry Christmas tree was blamed for sparking the fire, according to the Burbank Leader.
Burbank Fire Marshal Frank Walbert called on residents to remove Christmas trees, most of which are tinder dry at this point, from their homes to avoid a similar fate.
-- Ross A. Benson and Jason Wells, Times Community News
Photo: A Burbank animal control officer leads one of two dogs rescued from the house by Burbank firefighters. Credit: Ross A. Benson