Laker Devin Ebanks cleared in alleged sexual assault
Citing insufficient evidence, L.A. County prosecutors declined to press charges against Los Angeles Laker Devin Ebanks in connection with allegations he sexually assaulted a woman, officials said Wednesday.
The reported incident investigated by the Los Angeles Police Department's Robbery-Homicide Division allegedly took place Sept. 13 after the two ran into each other at a nightclub, according to the filing rejection issued by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office.
Ebanks and the woman, who was not identified and who went on four dates with Ebanks, went back to the Laker's residence, where they began kissing, the filing declination stated.
But after Ebanks took off her shorts and underwear the woman said she did not want to have sex.
Prosecutors said a sexual assault exam revealed no finding nor was any DNA found on the victim's body.
"Given the lack of corroborating evidence, this case is declined for prosecution due to lack of sufficient evidence to prove this charge beyond a reasonable doubt," complaint deputy Rouman Ebrahim wrote in the report.
The Lakers signed Ebanks as a second-round pick in 2010. The 6-foot-9, 210-pound small forward was selected with the 43rd overall pick out of West Virginia University. In two seasons at West Virginia, Ebanks averaged 11.2 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.6 assists in 69 games.
-- Andrew Blankstein
Photo: Lakers forward Devin Ebanks, center, battles Nuggets center Eric Boateng, left, and guard J.R. Smith in the fourth quarter during a preseason game last year. Credit: Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times