Santa Ana winds: L.A. braces for more as crews slowly restore power
More than 300,000 homes lost power as the Santa Ana winds roared through the area beginning late Wednesday, speeds reaching 97 mph at one point.
By about 9 p.m. Thursday, Los Angeles Department of Water and Power reported that power had been restored to about 107,000 customers. The department called in crews from out of state for help.
Officials warned that customers in the dark should be prepared to wait 24 to 48 hours before electricity powers back up.
Southern California Edison reported about 177,000 customers still without power, down from a high of 225,000, said Gil Alexander, a spokesman for the company, which serves many of the communities around Los Angeles.
“Crews have made some progress,” he said. “In fact, we will be working through the night and we expect some new outages.”
He said crews have been told to expected high winds for another 12 to 24 hours. “It’s ongoing,” said Alexander.
In Pasadena, all but about 2,400 customers regained power, and streets had been cleared of debris, said Tim McGillivray, a spokesman for the city.
“That’s almost completely under control now,” he said.
It will take six to 12 hours to restore power to the remaining customers, and the city warned residents to be prepared to experience more outages overnight.
The hardest hit communities in the windstorm ravaged communities along the San Gabriel Mountains. Later Thursday and early Friday, the windstorm is expected to slide west and hit the San Fernando Valley, Hollywood Hills and the Malibu area.
--Nicole Santa Cruz
Photo: Southern Californian Edison worker in Pasadena. Credit: Gina Ferazzi/Los Angeles Times