Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

US Airways flight attendant slain in Mexico City; arrest reported

November 1, 2011 |  9:17 am


An arrest reportedly has been made in the death of a US Airways flight attendant who was found slain  in his Mexico City hotel room.

Nick Aaronson, 33, was found dead by his colleagues in his room at the Hilton Hotel just after 6 a.m. on Saturday. The crew was in Mexico City on a layover.

Aaronson's mother, Anita, who lives in West Covina, posted on Facebook that a suspect was arrested over the weekend in her son's death, KTLA News reported.

She said the FBI used hotel surveillance video and the GPS from her son's iPhone to track and arrest the suspect, Jose Ramirez, 20, who allegedly tried to rob Aaronson.

Aaronson was found lying naked, face down, on the floor of his room, with his own belt tied around his neck, the Mexico City prosecutor's office said.

Another belt was tied around his hands, and his luggage was dumped out across the room. He had been struck several times, according to Rene Hernandez Cueto, a spokesman for the attorney general in Mexico City.

Police say no drugs or weapons were found in the room. An autopsy is being performed to determine the cause of death.

Other members of the US Airways crew staying at the hotel were relocated as a precaution.

In a statement on its website, the Assn. of Flight Attendants said: "Preliminary findings do not indicate a safety breach at the hotel. Therefore, we do not believe our crew members are at risk. However, until this matter is resolved, layover crews will be temporarily relocated to an alternative location."

Aaronson, who lived in Phoenix, had worked as a flight attendant for US Airways since 2006.

Deborah Volpe, president of AFA Council 66, described Aaronson as "very popular" and a "much-loved flight attendant."

"This was a very tragic event and it has affected us all. Right now, we are focusing on taking care of our crew members," she said.


After fire, Magic Castle hopes to reopen Friday

Grandmother's stolen ashes returned to Woodland Hills family

Halloween clown aided Red Line stabbing victims, authorities say

-- KTLA News