Marine convicted of killing Iraqi civilian loses parole bid
The Navy Clemency and Parole Board had recommended parole for Sgt. Lawrence Hutchins. But Assistant Secretary Juan Garcia said the parole would be "premature."
Garcia said Hutchins needs to remain imprisoned to "ensure he is sufficiently punished and to deter others from similar conduct."
Hutchins, the squad leader on the night of the killing, is the last of eight service members convicted in the slaying to remain behind bars.
"I'm at a loss for words, this really hurts," Hutchins said, according to his attorney Babu Kaza.
Hutchins has served five years of an 11-year sentence, most of it at Leavenworth Federal Prison.
Hutchins had been in the brig at Miramar Marine Corps Air Station in San Diego while his appeal was being considered. The rejection was announced Tuesday by Hutchins' attorney.
-- Tony Perry in San Diego
Photo: Sgt. Lawrence Hutchins. Credit: Los Angeles Times