Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Bryan Stow tried to escape his attackers, prosecutors say

August 1, 2011 |  6:18 pm


San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow tried to escape a violent man attacking him and his friends outside Dodger Stadium, but his assailant pursued and assaulted him again, according to a court document filed Monday that provides new details about the beating that left Stow with serious brain injuries.

Prosecutors allege that Louie Sanchez shoved Stow and punched one of Stow’s friends after the Dodgers’ opening day game against the Giants. Afterward, Stow, who was dressed in a Giants shirt, continued to walk with his friends toward the edge of the stadium parking lot, with Sanchez and his friend Marvin Norwood in pursuit, prosecutors wrote.

Sanchez caught up with the group and punched another of Stow’s friends, knocking him to the ground, the court document said. As Stow faced Norwood, Sanchez surprised him from behind and punched him in the side of the head, prosecutors allege.

Stow’s friends told authorities that he immediately lost consciousness and fell sideways to the ground without breaking his fall.

“When Stow’s head hit the ground, witnesses heard his head impact the concrete and saw it bounce,” prosecutors wrote.

Sanchez allegedly kicked Stow several times in the head. Norwood also kicked Stow, prosecutors wrote, and stood over his body, asking: “Who else wants to fight?”

Prosecutors provided the detailed account while asking a judge to deny Sanchez’s request to lower his $500,000 bail. Sanchez, 29, and Norwood, 30, face mayhem and assault charges in connection with the March 31 beating of Stow, a 42-year-old Santa Clara County paramedic who suffered a fractured skull and remains hospitalized. Sanchez also faces misdemeanor assault and battery charges involving two additional victims.

Sanchez’s attorney, Gilbert Quinones, said last week that his client was at the game but not involved in the assault. He described Sanchez as a family man who has worked for years as a supervisor at an auto auction company. The lawyer did not return a call for comment Monday.

Prosecutors, however, portray Sanchez as out of control and unable to stay out of legal trouble.
They said his violent behavior at the baseball game began when he threw soda on a woman inside the stadium. When the victim’s male companion yelled back, Norwood had to restrain Sanchez from attacking the man, prosecutors wrote.

After the game, Sanchez allegedly ran up to another group of young Giants fans and swung a fist at one of them.

Sanchez’s criminal record stretches back to age 16, when he was arrested for obstructing or resisting a peace officer, the court filing said. He also has convictions for domestic violence, carrying a loaded firearm, drunk driving and evading police during a high-speed chase. He was sent to state prison in February 2008 after violating his probation and was released about four months later.

“It is clear from the crimes charged and from his criminal history that defendant Sanchez is completely incapable of controlling his behavior or obeying court orders,” wrote the prosecutors, Michele Hanisee and Frank Santoro.

When television stations broadcast news of the assault, Sanchez told his son, who also attended the game, not to tell anybody what had happened, the court filing said. In jail while awaiting a lineup, Sanchez also told Norwood not to say anything, prosecutors said.


Woman falls to death at Yosemite's Half Dome

Grim Sleeper: L.A. district attorney to seek death penalty

Surveillance video shows attack on blind woman in Little Tokyo

-- Jack Leonard (Twitter: @jackfleonard) Andrew Blankstein (Twitter: @anblanx)

Photo: Bryan Stow and children. Credit: Stow family