Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

49ers discontinue games with Raiders after stadium violence

August 23, 2011 |  7:20 am

An officer holds a bloodied shirt as police investigate the scene of a shooting in the parking lot of Candlestick Park after a 49ers-Raiders game.

The San Francisco 49ers announced that the team would discontinue preseason games with the Oakland Raiders after violence marred last Saturday's cross-town meeting at Candlestick Park.

Team officials also announced Monday that the 49ers would tighten tailgating rules and crack down on season ticket holders who sell their seats to troublemakers in the wake of two shootings and a beating at the stadium.

On Sunday, Oakland Raiders Chief Executive Amy Trask came to the defense of Raider fans in the wake of the violence, calling the majority of Raider supporters "terrific people and terrific fans."

"I'm aware of the perception, and I don't believe the perception is the reality," she said. "Stereotypes are insidious. It's so simple to stereotype Raiders fans. It's an easy story. If you are hearing frustration coming through in my voice it's because there's frustration in my voice."

Authorities were still sifting through evidence and puzzling over whether the incidents involved team loyalties. One of the shooting victims was wearing a T-shirt with an expletive-laced anti-49er slogan, according to police.

The violence occurred during and after the 49ers' 17-3 victory Saturday night in their home stadium. Videos taken by fans and posted online depict fights and aggressive behavior in the stands during the game. Callers to a Bay Area radio show Sunday said they had to navigate a gantlet of drunk and abusive fans just to use a restroom.

Sgt. Michael Andraychak of the San Francisco Police Department said police and stadium security officials assigned extra staff Saturday, as is customary for games between teams with a strong rivalry or whose fans have a history of violence.

A 24-year-old man who was shot multiple times in one of the parking lot incidents was reported to be in serious condition Monday. After being shot, he managed to drive to a security office for help, Andraychak said. Another man in his 20s who was shot numerous times remained hospitalized with less threatening injuries, according to police.

A 26-year-old man from San Rafael who was beaten unconscious in a stadium bathroom was hospitalized in serious condition, police said.

Officials with the 49ers said Monday they believed the problems come from a small group of people but said changes were needed.

"The degenerate behavior that happened on Saturday is not going to be tolerated," Jed York, the 49ers' president and chief executive officer, said at a news conference, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "If that means we need to make a business decision to not sell a ticket to somebody, ... then that's something we're going to do."


Two shot after Raiders-49ers game

Rep. Maxine Waters: 'Tea party' can go 'straight to hell'

Videotape might help solve fatal Hollywood subway stabbing

-- Shelby Grad and Julie Cart

Photos: An officer holds a bloodied shirt as police investigate the scene of a shooting in the parking lot of Candlestick Park after Saturday's Raiders-49ers game. Credit: Michael Macor / San Francisco Chronicle