Family of slain MTV music coordinator speaks out
The family of Gabriel Ben-Meir, who was found fatally shot Monday on a Mid-Wilshire street just steps from his front door, released a statement Friday that was read by LAPD Chief Charlie Beck during a news conference announcing that charges had been filed in the 30-year-old man's slaying.
"The Ben-Meir family would like to express its deep appreciation to the LAPD for their extraordinary efforts leading to the arrest of Gabriel’s assailants," the statement said. The family noted the "kindness and understanding" of the detectives investigating the killing as "they worked tirelessly to bring this matter to a close."
Three people have been charged in a rash of robberies that took place in West Los Angeles, two of which turned deadly, police said.
Destiny Young, 29, of Los Angeles has been charged with two counts of murder. Jabaar Vincent Thomas, 26, of Los Angeles and Richard Edward Anderson, 33, of Reseda face robbery charges.
Beck said, however, that more evidence was still being processed and could lead to murder charges against Thomas and Anderson.
"When you’re robbing people coming from bars or grocery stores, you're not going to get the jackpot," said Andrew Smith, assistant commanding officer for operations for the LAPD’s West Bureau.
In a security video taken at one of the robbery locations, investigators could clearly see one or more of the suspects inside a blue, early 1990s model Ford Crown Victoria. Within 16 hours of the video’s release, police said all three suspects were apprehended.
-- Rick Rojas
Photo: Gabriel Aron Ben-Meir