Match.com will screen users against sex offender database
Several days after an L.A. woman filed suit against Match.com claiming she was attacked by a man she met on the dating site, company officials announced Sunday they would begin crossing-checking users against sex offender databases.
The company released a statement to the Associated Press on Sunday night announcing the change. The statement said Match.com in the past had not screened users against a national sex offender database over fears that such checks would be flawed and could give a false sense of security. Officials said they remain concerned about how accurate the checks would be.
Attorney Mark L. Webb, who represents the woman identified in the lawsuit only as "Jane Doe," told The Times last week he will ask a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge for a temporary injunction barring the site from signing up more members until his client's demands are met. He said his client wants the site to screen members to determine if they are sexual predators.
"They are a very powerful and successful online dating service, and they have the means to do this," Webb said.
Webb described his client as an Ivy League graduate who works in film and television.