No decision this week on charges in Lindsay Lohan jewelry theft case
Prosecutors will not make a decision this week whether to file criminal charges against actress Lindsay Lohan in connection with the alleged theft of a $2,500 necklace from a Venice jeweler.
District Attorney's officials say that prosecutors have asked for a few more pieces of information related to the Jan. 22 incident. Los Angeles Police detectives are investigating whether Lohan stole a "one-of-a-kind" necklace that went missing last month from a Venice jewelry store not far from where she has been living.
The gold necklace with semiprecious stones disappeared Jan. 22 from the store in the 1300 block of Abbott Kinney Boulevard, and police began investigating a few days later. According to law enforcement sources, a store video showed Lohan wearing the necklace before it was reported missing.
After detectives began looking into the case and preparing a search warrant, a Lohan associate took the necklace to the Pacific Division police station, sources said.
Lohan could face grand theft and second-degree commercial burglary charges, prosecutors said. A conviction could result in probation, jail or prison time. It could also be deemed a violation of her probation for a 2007 drunk-driving conviction.
Lohan's attorney, Shawn Chapman Holley, has not returned messages seeking comment.
The LAPD investigation is the latest problem for the actress, who is also under investigation in Riverside County for allegedly assaulting an employee at the Betty Ford Center. Lohan spent a mandatory three months at the center under orders from Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Elden S. Fox, who spared the actress jail time in October after she tested positive for drugs.
He warned that he would put her in jail for six months if she violated probation again. It was her fifth time in rehab, and she has been to jail three times in connection with the case.
-- Richard Winton