L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Coast Guard no longer actively searching for boat off San Diego coast; no debris found

December 30, 2010 |  9:32 am

After searching Wednesday night and again Thursday morning, the Coast Guard is no longer actively searching for a boat off San Diego that reportedly was in distress and taking on water.

No sign of debris or survivors was spotted by a Coast Guard helicopter that combed the area off Point Loma for 90 minutes after daybreak Thursday.

The search began after the Coast Guard received a call about 5 p.m. Wednesday about a 20-foot boat with an adult and three children aboard. The call came from a firm that takes distress calls from boaters.

The search had been suspended late Wednesday night due to high winds and large waves but was resumed Thursday amid calmer weather.

No further calls were made to the Coast Guard, and no family or friends have come forward to express concern about a possible missing boat. One possibility is that the boat made its way to land without assistance or notifying authorities, officials said.

A decision on whether to suspend the search altogether will be made later in the day, officials said.

RELATED:

Authorities search for boat in trouble off coast

-- Tony Perry in San Diego

Comments