Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Parents were taking photos moments before boy fell from luxury box at Lakers game [Updated]

November 22, 2010 | 10:45 am

Staples The parents of a 2-year-old who died after plunging approximately 28 feet from a Staples Center luxury suite had been taking photos of the boy just before he fell, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

[Updated 2:47 p.m.: Officials earlier estimated that the boy fell 50 feet. Arena managers now say the distance was closer to 28 feet.]

Officials said the family was looking at the digital photos and lost track of the boy, who somehow went over the top of the glass partition, police said.

The boy, Lucas Anthony Tang, had been crawling around the suite during the Lakers game against the Golden State Warriors, sources said. At some point, his parents noticed he was missing and began to look for him.

They did not know then that their son, who would have turned 3 in January, had fallen. Witnesses at the game told The Times that the boy was moving his arms, legs and head before paramedics took him out on a stretcher.

The death is being investigated by the LAPD's abused-child unit, a standard practice that officials said does not necessarily mean a crime has been committed.

[Updated at 10:57 a.m.: "Our condolences and prayers go out to the Tang family. We are working with the Los Angeles Police Department on the investigation of this tragedy," Michael Roth, vice president of communications for the Staples Center, said in a statement.]


Child dies after 50-foot fall at Lakers game

Child-abuse unit investigating boy's death in Staples Center fall

Boy hurt in fall from Staples Center luxury suite after Lakers game

-- Andrew Blankstein and Kate Linthicum

Photo: A security guard, top, looks down from where a young boy fell to where a second guard stands after the Lakers game at Staples Center on Sunday night. Credit: Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press