L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

133 LAX passengers refuse body scans and get pat-downs, TSA says

November 24, 2010 |  3:19 pm

Lax

Of the 50,000 travelers who have gone through Los Angeles International Airport so far Wednesday, 133 have opted out of the full-body scanners and receive enhanced pat-downs, according to officials.

Nico Melendez, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, said 17 of 19 body-scanning machines at LAX on Wednesday were operational. The scanners at Terminal 1 were off for at least part of the day, and Melendez said he didn't know why.

Many passengers paid little attention to the screenings.

Nate Mayor, 22, a student at Occidental College, was at LAX getting ready to fly home to Seattle for Thanksgiving. He said he had no problems with additional security -- and planned to submit to a full-body scan if necessary.

"I certainly don't have any qualms about the X-ray machines," Mayor said.

RELATED:

Tell us your Thanksgiving travel stories

Opponents of full-body scans encourage Thanksgiving travelers at LAX to opt out

Thanksgiving travelers at LAX express mixed feelings about new security measures

-- Bob Pool at Los Angeles International Airport

Photo: Passengers go through a security checkpoint in Los Angeles International Airport's Terminal 1. Credit: Don Bartletti / Los Angeles Times

 

Comments