Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

San Diego County man who died from bee stings suffered severe allergic reaction

June 19, 2010 | 10:25 am

The San Diego County man who collapsed Wednesday after being stung by hundreds of bees died as a result of a sudden onset of anaphylaxis, a severe allergic reaction, according to a report by the county medical examiner.

A contributing cause of death was arterial atherosclerosis, according to the report.

Marco Tulio Lazaro, 54, was clearing brush on his property in Encinitas with a backhoe when the equipment disturbed a bee hive. Lazaro ran toward an outhouse to escape the stinging bees but was found unconscious there by authorities who responded to an emergency call from his nephew.

Anaphylaxis causes severe shock in which the airways restrict. Death can occur within minutes unless the victim receives an injection of epinephrine, according to medical experts.

Nationwide, up to 1,500 persons a year die from anaphylaxis after severe reactions from foods, insect stings or other injuries.

-- Tony Perry in San Diego