16-year-old boy charged in Mid-City slaying of teenage girl
Prosecutors charged a 16-year-old boy Tuesday in connection with the shooting death of a 15-year-old girl at a Mid-City Los Angeles home and said they want to try the youth as an adult.
The boy, who was not identified because he is a minor, faces one count of murder with the allegation he fired a handgun during the shooting in the 1800 block of Wellington Road.
Prosecutors are expected to argue at a fitness hearing that the boy should be tried as an adult. He faces a maximum life term in prison without the possibility of parole if convicted as an adult. He is scheduled for arraignment Wednesday at Eastlake Juvenile Hall.
Los Angeles Police Department investigators said the boy had been discussing Russian roulette and was loading and unloading a revolver as two girls watched.
One of the girls became uneasy as he kept playing with the gun. The girl, identified by the L.A. County coroner's office as Alexis Wallace, 15, stood to leave the room, LAPD officials said.
When Norma Gamble, whose home the boy had been staying at, came across the bloody scene, she described the boy as distraught and running around the room in a "chaotic state" after the shooting.
Wallace was hit in the torso and later died.
-- Andrew Blankstein