L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Former Compton basketball coach won't be retried on charge of meeting a minor for a lewd purpose

December 2, 2009 | 11:58 am

The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office announced in court today that it will not seek a retrial of former Compton Dominguez High School boys’ basketball coach Russell Otis on a felony charge of meeting a minor for a lewd purpose.

A Compton jury, after more than 10 days of deliberations, last month deadlocked 10-2 in favor of convicting Otis on the charge, which would’ve left the ex-coach facing up to a three-year prison sentence.

Prosecutors alleged that Otis had met a former member of his 2008 CIF Southern Section-championship team at the player’s home and offered the then-16-year-old boy $1,500 in cash if he’d let the coach sexually arouse him.

The two holdout jurors said there wasn’t enough evidence presented to prove Otis actually visited the boy’s home. “It’s always a victory when prosecutors decide to drop the most serious charge,” Otis’ attorney, Leonard Levine, said after today's hearing. 

The jury did convict Otis on a misdemeanor child-molesting charge for barraging the boy with text messages that continued into the early morning hours in August 2008. Otis was acquitted of felony grand theft and forgery after prosecutors alleged he used a forged authorization letter to deposit into his personal bank account a $15,000 check from shoe company Nike, Inc. that was written to the Compton Unified School District.

The misdemeanor conviction against Otis, 47, will force the ex-coach to register as a sex offender and will bar him from coaching and teaching minors, prosecutors said.

Ryan King, one of the deputy district attorneys who prosecuted Otis, said his office opted not to retry Otis because a felony conviction likely would not result in a more severe sentence.

“The lifetime [sex offender] registration will prevent him from being so close to so many young men again," King said. "Based on what came out in court, that is the most important thing we accomplished. We don’t believe any school district will touch him. And we’ll still be requesting substantial jail time.”

Otis is due back in court Jan. 6 for sentencing, facing a maximum one-year sentence in county jail.

-- Lance Pugmire

More breaking news in L.A. Now:

Gardena man allegedly shoots teen for taking shortcut through his yard

Mistrial declared in '49th Street Massacre' that shook South L.A. 

Four in alleged 'bling ring' plead not guilty to break-ins at celebrity homes

Contest for next Assembly speaker tightens

Comments