Maria Shriver says, 'I’m sorry,’ for cellphone use while driving
Maria Shriver apologized this afternoon after she was publicly flogged – by her husband, among others -- for talking on her cellphone while driving without a hands-free device, in apparent violation of state law.
TMZ.com on Tuesday posted two photos of Shriver using one hand to drive a car and the other to press a large cellphone to her ear. Her husband, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, signed the cellphone law that went into effect last year. When the pictures were posted, Schwarzenegger wrote on Twitter that he would take unspecified "swift action" against his celebrity wife. But soon after that, TMZ posted a video it said showed Shriver breaking the law again even as the controversy was unfolding Tuesday.
"I'm sorry," Shriver said in her statement today. And, responding to gibes on the Internet about her bulky and seemingly outdated phone, she said she would donate "my favorite old cellphone" to a program run by Verizon that helps domestic violence shelters.
"That's my version of swift action with a higher purpose," Shriver said.
-- --Michael Rothfeld in Sacramento
Photo: Maria Shriver. Los Angeles Times file.
More breaking news in L.A. Now: