L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Rape investigation involving top city official far from concluded, sources say

August 12, 2009 |  3:01 pm

The police investigation into a woman's claim that she was raped by a top L.A. city official is far from concluded and there is no timetable for turning the case over to prosecutors, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

The LAPD has been investigating the allegations for a month. The sources, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because the investigation is ongoing, said detectives are trying sort out two very different stories of what happened, one from Andrew Adelman, the other from the alleged victim.

Detectives with the LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division are investigating allegations by a woman who  accused Adelman, general manager of the city's Department of Building and Safety, of raping her last month at his downtown condominium after a night of drinking, according to court documents obtained Tuesday.

Adelman, who was placed on administrative leave Tuesday by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, has not been arrested or charged with a crime, and his lawyer Mark Geragos expressed frustration that aspects of the investigation had been made public even though “no determination of the validity of the allegations have been made.”

The alleged victim told investigators that she had gone with friends on a "pub crawl" July 10 in the downtown area, had several drinks and then blacked out, according to the July 28 search warrant affidavit that sought video surveillance footage and key card access from Adelman’s condominium.

When she awoke the next morning, the woman told police, she was being sexually assaulted by a man she later identified as Adelman. Adelman drove her to her car, the affidavit alleges.

--Andrew Blankstein

Comments