L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Hundreds attend funeral for 6-year-old boy found beaten to death

August 1, 2009 | 12:45 pm

Daevon

Hundreds of mourners squeezed into the Light of the World Church in Compton this morning to bid farewell to Dae’Von Bailey, a 6-year-old boy whose body was found beaten to death on July 23. 

Family members and friends arrived in three black stretch limousines. Tylette Davis, the boy’s mother, was dressed in white and wore large dark sunglasses. Carrying a white teddy bear and a blue toy truck, she led a procession into the church.

The boy’s body lay in a small white casket surrounded by flowers. One arrangement consisted of white carnations in the shape of a teddy bear. Also displayed were photos of the child smiling and playing.

"We know that he may not have graduated from elementary school to high school to college," one unidentified woman said. "But he made the graduation to heaven."

Police have issued a murder warrant for Marcas Fisher, Davis’ former boyfriend.

The boy’s death prompted questions about how the county had handled his case. According to Los Angeles police detectives, social workers had approved an agreement between Fisher and the boy’s mother that placed Dae’von in the man’s home. Fisher had been convicted of rape as a teenager and had a criminal record as an adult.

Officials at a clinic that treated Dae’von for a bloody nose weeks before he was found beaten to death said their staff had warned social workers he might be an abuse victim, contradicting an account by the Los Angeles County child welfare department about how it dealt with the abuse allegations.

-- Esmeralda Bermudez in South Los Angeles

Photo: Tylette J. Davis, mother of Dae'Von Rayshawn Bailey, takes a final look at her son in a coffin at Light of the World Church of God in Christ.

Credit: Christine Cotter / Los Angeles Times

Comments