L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

LAPD questions why officials let boy live with man now accused of killing him

July 29, 2009 |  4:29 pm

Los Angeles police officials investigating the beating death of a 6-year-old boy raised questions today about why the boy was living with the man who is now accused of killing him.

Police issued an arrest warrant this afternoon for 36-year-old Marcas Fisher, who is suspected of fatally beating Dae'von Bailey, the son of his former girlfriend, last week.

LAPD Cmdr. Patrick Gannon said Fisher had a history of property and narcotics crimes. When he was a teenager, he was convicted of rape. Despite the record, Lt. Vincent Neglia said, county officials approved an agreement between Fisher and the boy’s mother that placed Dae’von in his home.

Additionally, LAPD Det. Frank Ramirez told The Times that Dae’von informed adults at his school in Lakewood in April and June that he had been abused. Officials at the school relayed the information to the county, he said.

 “The boy did what he should do,” Ramirez said. “He reported it to the school, and the school did what they should do. They reported it to [the county Department of Children and Family Services]. And unfortunately he’s dead.”

Police officials warned the public that anyone who helped Fisher avoid apprehension could be criminally liable.

Gannon said there is no doubt some friends and/or family are protecting him and helping him evade arrest. The commander said county prosecutors were considering filing charges of harboring a suspect and impeding an investigation.

-- Hector Becerra

Comments 

Advertisement










Video