L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Man wanted in 6-year-old boy's death still at large

July 29, 2009 |  7:39 am

Fishermugshotlapd A man captured by police and believed to be the killer of a 6-year-old boy in South Los Angeles turned out not to be the suspect after all, officials said today.

Dozens of police officers surrounded a neighborhood in South Los Angeles about 8:40 p.m. Tuesday, sealing off a several blocks around Avalon Boulevard and 90th Street and using dogs to track down Marcas Fisher, 36.

Fisher is suspected of beating his stepson, Dae’von Bailey, to death. Dae'von's battered body was found last Thursday on the floor of a house in South Los Angeles.

The boy had been the subject of about a dozen calls to Los Angeles County’s child-abuse hotline, and authorities have said his body showed signs of trauma that had been inflicted over an extended period of time.

Authorities said they received a call about 8 p.m. Tuesday reporting a sighting of Fisher. Officers pursued the man on foot, lost him, then sealed off the area where he was believed to be hiding.

Police, however, determined the man they had chased down and captured was not Fisher but another man wanted on a misdemeanor warrant.

-- Ruben Vives

Photo: Marcas Fisher. Credit: Los Angeles Police Department.

Comments