L.A. NOW

Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Orange County man dies of swine flu

June 8, 2009 |  2:39 pm

An Orange County man has died of swine flu, making him the fourth swine-flu related death in California.

The man, whose age and city of residence were not immediately available, suffered from other preexisting health conditions, Orange County public health officials said.

Last week, state health officials announced the death of a 9-year-old girl in Contra Costa County. The girl did not have an underlying medical problem but had a secondary bacterial infection that may have contributed to the death.

State health officials said today that results of the autopsy are pending. Statewide, there are more than 1,000 confirmed or probable cases of the novel H1N1 virus, with about 62 hospitalizations.

Orange County has 86 confirmed and probable cases.

-- Kimi Yoshino

Swinemap140Use The Times interactive map to see how swine flu spread in the weeks after the virus was first detected.