Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Coroner: Dr. Dre's son died of accidental drug overdose

January 2, 2009 |  3:54 pm

Dr. Dre's 20-year-old son, who was found dead in August at the family's Woodland Hills home, died of an accidental drug overdose, coroner's officials said today.

A toxicology test revealed that Andre R. Young Jr. died of "morphine and heroin intoxication," said Ed Winter, assistant chief of the Los Angeles County coroner's office. It was ruled as an accidental death, he said.

Young's mother found him dead at the family's home at 10:24 a.m. on Aug. 23. An autopsy was completed a few days later, but the determination of the cause of death was delayed pending the outcome of a "gamut of tests, including toxicology," Winter said.

"Dr. Dre is mourning the loss of his son. Please respect his family's grief and privacy at this time," the musician's publicist, Lori Earl, said after Young was found dead.

-- Ruben Vives