Southern California -- this just in

« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

Brentwood parents worry about guns, anger and a neighbor

December 16, 2008 |  4:58 pm

Residents of Brentwood rarely see a phalanx of police cars, a swarm of officers and one of their schools on lockdown.

But earlier this month, a man allegedly brandished a loaded pistol near Kenter Canyon Elementary School, leaving residents and parents in the area fearing for their children’s safety and wondering why police aren’t taking more aggressive steps against a suspect whose behavior has grown increasingly bizarre.

The controversy has been building since February when Los Angeles police officers were called to the school to find Lynford Wiley yelling at motorists — most of them parents who were there to pick up their children from school. On Dec. 5, Wiley again grew upset by traffic at Kenter Avenue and Homewood Road. This time, he allegedly walked out of his home with a loaded handgun, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

LAPD Lt. David McGill said the ...

... 46-year-old did not point the weapon at anyone. But the threat led to anxious moments as teachers hustled children off a nearby playground and placed the school on lockdown. Wiley retreated into his home and after a brief standoff with police -- that included shedding articles of clothing -- gave himself up, according to police.

Police searched the home, finding weapons, including 11 pistols, seven long guns, eight air pistols, one crossbow, a bow-and-arrow set, a blowgun and some swords. On Dec. 11, Wiley was released from custody on $500,000 bond. “The community is understandably stressed about the situation,” McGill said. “They are asking us, ‘What can we do?’ and 'Is there a way to force him to move?' But there are obvious constitutional issues.”

McGill said that based on Wiley’s behavior, the LAPD has no intention of returning the weapons that were seized until “such time as we are ordered to do so by a judge. In the meantime, the LAPD has added extra patrols, and a community meeting is scheduled for Wednesday evening. A parents group has also hired a security company to guard the campus.

Wiley is due back in court Dec. 23 for a preliminary hearing. He could not immediately be reached for comment.

-- Andrew Blankstein