L.A. County Fair starts today in Pomona
The Los Angeles County Fair starts an 18-day run today at the Fairplex in Pomona with all the mainstays: stomach-churning rides, artery-clogging fried foods and concerts by "where-are-they-now?" artists.
And today you can get into the L.A. County Fair for just $1 (until 5 p.m.). Come on. It's the end of summer. You don't need to fit into your bathing suit anymore.
Deep-fried offerings include: avocados, frog legs and Spam with pineapples. Not all together, of course. That would be gross. (Read more at the Hot Blog on a Stick.)
This year's oh-so-trendy "Going Green" theme focuses on recycling and alternative energy and features a walk-through rain forest complete with a sloth, parrots and a 200-pound python.
There's no Charlie Daniels Band this year at the L.A. Fair, but there is Charlie Wilson & the Gap Band. Poor Gavin Rossdale of Bush fame has been reduced to opening for Lifehouse. Man, that hurts. (Depending on the act, reserved seats range from $18.50 to $150 – I kid you not).
The Los Angeles County Fair 2008 concert lineup:
* WAR - Friday, Sept. 5
* Sugarland - Saturday, Sept. 6
* The Doobie Brothers and Grand Funk Railroad - Sunday, Sept. 7
* Smokey Robinson - Friday, Sept. 12
* KC & The Sunshine Band and The Village People - Saturday, Sept. 13
* Jaguares - Sunday, Sept. 14
* The Bangles, Berlin and The Motels - Friday, Sept. 19
* Jessica Simpson - Saturday, Sept. 20
* Mariachi USA - Sunday, Sept. 21
* Charlie Wilson & the Gap Band, Rose Royce and Lakeside - Friday, Sept. 26
* Lifehouse and Gavin Rossdale - Sunday, Sept. 28
Weekdays: $12, $9 (60 and over), $7 (ages 6 to 12).
Weekends: $17, $14 (60 and over), $12 (ages 6 to 12).
— Brady MacDonald