Sampler Platter: Barack Obama as food critic, kitchen truisms and making lox
January 7, 2009 | 8:58 am
- Everyone's a critic. Barack Obama reviews Dixie Kitchen & Bait Shop in Hyde Park, Chicago. He recommends the corn cakes and peach cobbler. Check, Please!
- Does adding sugar to stir-fried vegetables preserve the greens? (Yes.) Does browning meat seal in the juices? (No.) The science (or lack thereof) of cooking truisms. New York Times
- The 99 Cent Chef takes on Mario Batali's Ragu alla Bolognese recipe.
- Eat Me Daily rails at the Joy of Cooking -- and rightfully so -- for releasing a line of frozen dinners.
- Lox rocks! An easy-breezy way to smoke your own salmon. gas•tron•o•my
- Carl's Jr. expands in Texas; Taco Bell heads to Mexico and India; Chipotle visits Europe. Fast Food Daily
Photo: Tim Sloan/ AFP/Getty Images