Gruesome killing in Canada spurs international manhunt

Suspect Luka Rocco MagnottaA gruesome killing in Montreal has spurred an international manhunt for a Canadian man suspected of hacking apart a victim, then mailing pieces of the body to politicians.

Canadian police said Wednesday they were searching for Luka Rocco Magnotta, a 29-year-old model and porn actor who has used several different names. Interpol added Magnotta to its wanted list Thursday as police said he may have left Canada.

"There is no country in the world that is not talking about him," Montreal police Cmdr. Ian Lafrenière told CBC News Thursday morning.

Officials have not released the name of the victim. A dismembered torso was found in a suitcase in an alley behind a Montreal apartment Tuesday, the same day that a severed foot arrived by mail at the Conservative Party headquarters in Ottawa, according to Canadian media. Another package containing a human hand was stopped at an Ottawa postal facility before it reached the Liberal Party.

More body parts may be in the mail: The foot came with a note saying that six body parts had been sent, CTV News reported Wednesday. The suitcase holding the torso was found near Magnotta's second-floor apartment, which was reportedly still spattered with blood Thursday.

“I can’t believe I’m cleaning this tomorrow, man,” an apartment handywoman told the Canadian Press as she looked at the mess and gagged. “I need a bonus for this."

The slaying is believed to have been captured in a video uploaded to the Internet last week. The video shows someone stabbing a young man with an ice pick, dismembering the corpse and committing “sexual and cannibalistic acts on it,” the Canadian Press reported.

Magnotta appears to have left a twisted trail of Internet ramblings. One blog in his name titled “Necrophilia Serial Killer Luka Magnotta” begins: “It’s not cool to the world being a necrophiliac. It’s bloody lonely. But I dont really care,” the National Post reported.

Animal rights activists believe Magnotta was also behind a string of disturbing videos showing kittens being killed, which had spurred calls to find Magnotta long before the alleged dismemberment.

On his website, Magnotta wrote that many hoax websites had been made in his name. "I do not feel the necessity to address the specific accusations made in the posts since they are so far from my character that responding to them will give them more credibility than they will ever hold.”

He had previously denied dating infamous killer Karla Homolka, who was freed from prison seven years ago, though skeptics believe he spread the rumors about dating her in the first place.

ALSO:

Colombian rebels release French journalist

Mexico's PRI opens campaign office in Los Angeles

Europe ponders 'banking union' to avert further euro crises

-- Emily Alpert in Los Angeles

Photo: Luka Rocco Magnotta is wanted by Canadian police and Interpol. Credit: Montreal Police Department


India issues arrest warrants for 3 Iranians in Israeli bombing

Lzr6dvpd
REPORTING FROM NEW DELHI -- India has issued arrest warrants for three Iranian suspects who reportedly fled the country shortly after last month’s bomb attack on an Israeli diplomatic vehicle and it is seeking Interpol's assistance to apprehend them, officials said Friday.

They said the investigation had not reached any conclusion on who was responsible for the attack.

On Feb. 13, a motorcyclist attached a bomb to a Toyota Innova registered to the Israeli Embassy before speeding off. The blast injured Tal Yehoshua, the wife of an Israeli diplomat, along with her driver and two people in an adjacent vehicle.

Police identified the suspects as Houshang Afshar Irani, Seyed Ali Sadr Mehdian and Mohammad Reza, all carrying Iranian passports. The men reportedly arrived in Delhi two weeks before the attack and fled soon after the bombing.

Friday’s disclosures follow the announcement last week that Indian national Syed Mohammed Ahmad Kazmi, 50, a journalist with an Iranian news agency, had been arrested on suspicion of assisting the Iranians.

Continue reading »

25 suspected Anonymous hackers arrested in international sweep

Twenty-five alleged hackers from the freewheeling, decentralized Anonymous protest movement have been arrested across Europe and South America in a massive sweep coordinated by Interpol, an agency based in France that links police around the world.

Suspects arrested in Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Spain were believed to have carried out coordinated digital attacks against the Colombian Ministry of Defense, a Chilean electrical company and other targets, the Associated Press reported.

The Spanish national police said Tuesday that they had arrested four “cyberdelinquents” tied to Anonymous, accused of blocking and defacing websites of political parties, institutions and businesses. Authorities seized 25 personal computers, hard drives and other equipment for analysis. Two servers used by the group in Bulgaria and the Czech Republic were blocked.

One of the arrestees, known by the aliases "Thunder" and "Pacotron," was believed to be in charge of the Anonymous infrastructure in Spain and Latin America, Spanish police said.

The Interpol website was down Tuesday evening. Online chatter hinted that Anonymous had carried off a revenge attack, echoing retaliatory hacks in the past when other members were arrested.

“interpol.int seems to be #TangoDown. We can’t say that this surprises us much,” an Anonymous account tweeted.

The loosely linked band of hackers has carried off a number of cyber attacks, many of them with activist aims, such as opposing broad bills against online piracy or supporting the "Arab Spring" protests.

In December, it brought down the Stratfor security think tank server and claimed to have stolen credit card numbers from its clients to nab money for Christmas donations.

Last year, it claimed to have obtained emails, credit card information and other sensitive data from U.S. police websites in retaliation for the arrests of alleged members in the U.S. and Britain.

The year before, it said it had attacked PayPal as part of "Operation Avenge Assange" after PayPal decided to stop processing donations for WikiLeaks, which many of its members admire.

And just a few weeks ago, it posted a 16-minute recording of an FBI conference call with foreign policing agencies about two British teenagers allegedly tied to the hacking group. 

"There are future operations planned in the way of everything from campaign finance reform, to elections, to infosec [information security] and much, much more, stay tuned," an Anonymous activist told the CNET technology news website in an interview Tuesday. "Expect us."

ALSO:

Syrian envoy denounces U.N. talks, walks out [Video]

French council throws out legislation on genocide denial

Venezuela's Chavez has surgery in Cuba; no word on cancer spread

-- Emily Alpert in Los Angeles

 

 


Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

Times Global Bureaus »

Click on bureau location to view articles

In Case You Missed It...

Video

Recent Posts

Archives
 



Archives
 

In Case You Missed It...