Varsity Times Insider

Times reporters blog about high school
sports across the Southland

« Previous Post | Varsity Times Insider Home | Next Post »

Football: The challenge facing St. John Bosco

September 25, 2012 |  7:29 pm

After forfeiting its first four games because of an ineligible player, Bellflower St. John Bosco (0-4) faces obstacles similar to what Vista Murrieta confronted last season when it had to forfeit five games because of an ineligible player but went 14-0 on the field.

Vista Murrieta didn't get picked for a CIF state championship bowl game. That honor went to Westlake Village Westlake, the Northern Division champion, and Santa Margarita, the Pac-5 champion.

The good news for St. John Bosco is that there are four regional bowl berths this season instead of two for Division I teams, so if the Braves win the Pac-5, they will surely be chosen for a regional spot. But the forfeits could come into play with the bowl selectors when it comes to making a decision whether a team gets picked for the Open Division or Division I regional, based on Vista Murrieta's experience.

Ray Moore, the athletic director at Vista Murrieta, said people told him last year the forfeits "shouldn't affect you. What you do on the field will determine any bowl possibilities."

But Moore said, "I believe when the selection committee met to select teams, I think that was not communicated to them, and that's why they had different reasoning."

So the bottom line is if St. John Bosco takes care of business, the Braves will have plenty to celebrate the rest of the way. But the forfeits also aren't likely to be totally ignored come bowl time.

-- Eric Sondheimer

Comments 

Advertisement










Video