Dog dies after fire at upscale Hollywood kennel
A fire early Saturday morning at an upscale Hollywood boarding kennel was mercifully short-lived, thanks to the quick actions of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
The cause of the fire, which was centered in the rear mezzanine of the L.A. Dogworks building on Highland Avenue, is being investigated. Firefighters were dispatched to the kennel just after 1 a.m. Saturday, the day after Christmas, when more than 100 dogs were being kept there for the holidays. All survived the blaze, but one dog died of smoke inhalation at a veterinary facility after being evacuated.
Firefighters ventilated the roof to release heat and gases and provide clean air for the dogs, according to Erik Scott of the LAFD.
The facility bills itself as "Los Angeles' first exclusive dog Mecca," with amenities including aromatherapy, massage therapy and hydrotherapy, as well as a flat-screen TV and bunk beds. All staff members who work directly with dogs at the facility are certified with the Pet Care Services Assn. and in first aid and CPR, according to its website.
"All staff worked quickly to move all of the animals to our training facility in another building where they will spend the rest of their stay playing and having fun," Andrew Rosenthal, the kennel's owner, said in a prepared statement. "I cannot thank the L.A. Dogworks staff and Los Angeles Fire Department enough for their quick and lifesaving actions."
-- Lindsay Barnett
Photo: Dogs in the sleeping area at L.A. Dogworks. Credit: Robert Lachman / Los Angeles Times