The 1889 City Hall on Broadway just north of what is now the Victor Clothing Building. Notice that there are no fire escapes.
April 9, 1910: A fire that broke out in the janitor’s basement office could have quickly set the whole building ablaze, The Times says. The pipes were insulated with felt wrapped in ordinary paper, which had come loose and was hanging down in long strips. In a later era, the pipes would have been insulated with asbestos, which – as we know now – presented its own problems.