The Daily Mirror

Larry Harnisch reflects on Los Angeles history

Category: September 28, 2008 - October 4, 2008

| The Daily Mirror Home |

In the news: Nicole Brown Simpson, July 3, 1994

Los Angeles Times file photo

Nicole Brown Simpson

Dreams of Better Days Died That Night

Nicole Simpson: A strong woman, she was on a quest to find her identity.

By Shawn Hubler
and Rebecca Trounson
Times Staff Writers

In the beginning, she didn't even recognize him, that's how unworldly she was. "That's O.J. Simpson!" her boss at the nightclub exclaimed. She had never heard of the guy.

Later, friends and relatives would recount the episode and shake their heads. It wasn't just the naivete. By the time she married him seven years later at the age of 25, it seemed there had never been a time when the larger-than-life celebrity had not dominated her existence.

Their home was his mansion. Their friends were his friends. Her relatives were his employees. When she decided to take up interior decorating, her only clients were Simpson and his pals. Friends said that if he did not like what she was wearing, she would change clothes to please him. Later she would tell friends that she felt so overwhelmed, not even her words felt to her like her own. In a divorce court deposition, she would later confess: "I've always told O.J. what he wants to hear."

Now, the man who so shaped the life of Nicole Brown Simpson has come to dominate the story of her death as well. Charged with murdering her and her friend Ronald Lyle Goldman, it is O.J. Simpson who has captivated the nation's attention.

Nicole Simpson, meanwhile, has been reduced to the size of a poster child, her friends and relatives say bitterly: Murder victim; battered wife. Nothing like the strong, fun-loving woman they knew.

"It's all O.J., O.J. right now," said Rolf Baur, 46, a first cousin who was raised by Nicole Simpson's parents and whom she and her sisters considered a brother.

Cynthia (Cici) Shahian, 39, a Beverly Hills friend, said: "I feel that Nicole has gotten lost in all this."

Their Nicole, they say, was a 35-year-old wife and mother who had never felt free to be just herself. Half her life had been consumed in the tempestuous tit-for-tat that had been her celebrity marriage. In what would be her final days, she had resolved to finally find her identity.

But it was a wrenching endeavor. The relationship was a monstrous edifice, friends and relatives say, a dark house of passion, manipulation, money, love and violence.

Her quest, they believe, cost her her marriage.

Prosecutors say it cost her her life.


Nicole Brown Simpson was born May 19, 1959, near Frankfurt, Germany, her mother's homeland. Lou Brown, a native of Kansas, had met and married Juditha Baur of the small town of Rollwald, where he was serving with the Air Force.

Their first two daughters, Denise and Nicole, were born in Germany, while Lou Brown worked at Stars and Stripes, the American military newspaper; later, he started an insurance company for members of the military.

Returning to the United States when the girls were toddlers, the Browns lived first in Long Beach, then bought a large home with a tennis court, a 16-foot-deep pool and a three-acre back yard in the Royal Palm Estates section of Garden Grove. Two more daughters, Dominique and Tanya, were born. Nicole and Denise started high school there, at Rancho Alamitos High School, before the family moved to the gated Orange County beach community of Monarch Bay in the mid-1970s.

At Dana Hills High School, what people remembered first about the Brown girls was how good-looking they were. Nicole--they called her "Nick"--was named homecoming princess by the football team in 1976; the year before, Denise had been homecoming queen.

"Nicole was bubbly, always happy and smiling," said Bill Prestridge, one of her teachers.

At the same time, however, she was "more mature than other students," he said. "You almost got the idea that she was ready to get out of high school and go on to bigger and better things."

Interested in modeling and photography, Nicole enrolled briefly at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, where high school friend Chris Valdivia occasionally saw her around campus. By that time, he said, everyone knew she was dating Simpson but her romance with the football superstar didn't seem to have changed her.

"She was just always really down-to-earth, really friendly," Valdivia said.

'Volatile . . . Relationship'

Nicole was barely 18 and just out of high school when she met Simpson. After a two-week stint as a salesclerk in a boutique--during which she made not a single sale, according to her divorce papers--she started work as a waitress at the Daisy, a trendy Beverly Hills club where Simpson was a regular.

The football legend, then 30, whose first marriage to high school classmate Marguerite Whitley was faltering, began courting Nicole almost immediately, Baur said.

Jo Hanson, a Dana Hills High School home economics teacher, remembers Nicole coming back to proudly usher Simpson around to meet her and sign autographs for those in the class one day. "You know teen-agers," she said. "They like someone older and more sophisticated and she certainly did. He was everybody's idol, of course, then."

Within months, she had moved in with him, dropping out of community college because Simpson "required that she be with him," according to the brief her divorce lawyer filed in 1992.

"It was a very passionate, a very volatile, a very obsessive relationship. On both sides," said actress Cathy Lee Crosby, a friend of the couple who has known O.J. Simpson for 15 years.

One source close to the family said that even before they were married, they had fights. During one, Nicole holed up in the bathroom and telephoned her mother, the source said.

There were times, the source said, when she would move out and other times when he would throw her out, tossing her clothes after her. Then she would go home to her parents in Monarch Bay, but within days a contrite Simpson would call and apologize, she would return and for a time they would be loving again.

"They had many, many happy days together," the source said. "It just seemed like something snapped sometimes."

Although he was physically powerful, "she fought him back with words. She's a strong person," the source said.

She did not feel strong, though.

"I only attended junior college for a very short time, because (Simpson) wanted me to be available to travel with him whenever his career required him to go to a new location, even if it was for a short period of time," she said in an affidavit filed during her divorce. "I have no other college education, and I hold no degrees."

But with Simpson's money and growing fame, who needed a career? And her emotional contributions did not go unrecognized. Six months after their wedding in 1985, when he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Simpson thanked his new--and pregnant--wife for helping ease his departure from sports.

Gazing down at his wife from the podium, he said she "came into my life at what is probably the most difficult time for an athlete, at the end of my career . . . (and) turned those years into some of the best I have had in my life, babes."

Two months after that, their first child was born, a baby daughter. By that time, Simpson had become a national spokesman for Hertz and several other companies, earning an estimated $1 million a year. They moved to a $5-million Brentwood mansion on Rockingham Avenue. They had his-and-hers Ferraris. A $1.9-million Laguna Beach house. A New York pied-a-terre. Her pocket money allowance was $5,000 a month or more.

At the time, divorce records show, Simpson was supporting his mother and two grown children from his first marriage; he was equally generous with his in-laws. He hired Baur, first as the gardener at their estate, then as the manager of his two Pioneer Chicken restaurants in Los Angeles. At the same time, Baur's wife, Maria, worked as the Simpsons' housekeeper three days a week.

Simpson's father-in-law Lou worked for him as well, running his Hertz car rental franchise at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel. "O.J. practically gave it to him," Baur said.

He added that Simpson also paid for Nicole's sister Dominique to attend USC.

It was an old-fashioned marriage in which she minded the baby and he paid the bills. Every Easter, they gave an elaborate shindig at the Rockingham mansion for all the relatives. The couple were a magnetic presence at all the family gatherings. Baur has videotape, shot and narrated by Simpson, of the day Baur brought his newborn son home from the hospital. (As the family parades into Baur's small Long Beach apartment, Simpson can be heard teasing his brother-in-law about whether he has "cleaned up for the boss.")

In 1988, the Simpsons had a second child, a son. By all appearances, friends said, they seemed to have a perfect life.

"When they had parties at Rockingham, we had the best times. We would play games--scavenger hunt, truth or consequences," said Cora Fischman, who lived down the street from the Simpson home.

Fischman was a doctor's wife with three children, and through the youngsters, she and Nicole Simpson became close friends and confidantes. Her daughter attended private school with the Simpsons' little girl and her youngest child went to the same preschool as their son.

But if Nicole Simpson was a talented hostess and a conscientious mother, she was also notable among her contemporaries for her guardedness.

That caution extended even to Baur's wife, who worked in the Simpson house three days a week for almost three years. "She was the type of person who would not say to me what her problems were," said Maria Baur, who said she often heard the couple exchange screaming, angry words behind the closed door of the home's office. "She wouldn't talk."

"The truth is, no one really knew her during her marriage," said one woman who had been friends with her since both were in their early 20s. "She was never free to be herself or have friends. She wasn't available for that kind of intimacy."

It was only much later, the friend added, that she began to suspect there was more to Nicole Simpson's guardedness than met the eye, that there was something very wrong about her tendency toward sudden cancellations and no-shows.

"She would have these horrible cramps. That's what O.J. would tell us. 'Nicole has horrible menstrual cramps.' Supposedly they kept her in bed for days," the friend said.

Eventually, however, the violent and jealous facets of the Simpson marriage became common--if closely held--knowledge in their small circle of friends.

Jennifer Young, daughter of Gig and Elaine Young, the late actor and the Beverly Hills real estate agent, recalls bumping into Simpson one day at La Scala in Beverly Hills while waiting to be seated for lunch. Graciously, she said, he asked her and her girlfriend to join him, and they did.

But when they left the restaurant, she said, Nicole Simpson roared up in a black Mercedes, her blond hair in a bun, her face contorted with rage.

"She was screaming at the top of her lungs in the middle of Rodeo Drive," Young said. "She was, like, 'If you're f------ going to cheat on me, why don't you pick somebody f------ pretty?' "

It was that sort of conflict, her friends said, that touched off their most serious fights.

"He'd cheat. She'd find out. She'd get angry. She'd confront him. She's a strong girl and she'd confront him. And they would fight," said one longtime friend.

New Year's Day Assault

This, friends say, was the backdrop on New Year's Day, 1989, when the now-infamous beating occurred. According to police reports, as officers arrived at the Simpson estate at 3:30 a.m., Nicole Simpson burst from the hedges, rushed across the lawn in her sweat pants and bra and collapsed against the gate-release button.

"He's going to kill me, he's going to kill me," she cried, according to the report. "You never do anything about him. You talk to him and then leave." Her eye was black. Her lip was split. His handprint was still on her neck.

"I don't want that woman sleeping in my bed anymore!" Simpson shouted, according to the report. "I got two women, and I don't want that woman in my bed anymore."

Simpson--who later pleaded no contest to spousal battery--has since said the incident was an isolated one, and that he took the blame to head off bad publicity for him and his wife.

Later, outsiders would wonder why Nicole Simpson did not end the marriage then. But to their friends and relatives, it seemed that by that time their entanglement was so powerful it could never be sundered.

Baur said she stayed "because she loved him. And he loved her so much." And there were her hopes, friends said, that her children would have a stable home.

"She said all she wanted was to be a good mom like her mom," Fischman said. "All she wanted was a simple life."

But "she was afraid that if she left, a lot of people would be left out in the cold," one intimate said, referring to her relatives' financial connections to Simpson.

Finally, however, in early 1992, Nicole Simpson filed for divorce. By that time, her father was no longer working for Simpson. The car franchise, Baur said, had never been profitable, and Simpson had finally sold it. Lou Brown, whose other business ventures had included commercial real estate investing and carwash ownership, went into semi-retirement.

Baur, too, found himself out of a job, although according to court documents his loss was a function of local events. In divorce records, Simpson reported that the Los Angeles riots destroyed his one profitable Pioneer Chicken franchise, forcing the shutdown of the other as well.

Baur, while confirming the financial connections between his relatives and Simpson, said he does not believe that Nicole Simpson felt compelled to prolong her troubled marriage because of any family dependence on her husband.

"I don't think that's fair," Baur said, "because not everybody was on his payroll and we all worked hard for our money. He had jobs to do and we did them." Other family members declined comment.

The divorce left Nicole Simpson single again for the first time since her teens. She was awarded $433,750 and $10,000 a month child support. She moved into a rented house five minutes from the mansion, then bought a nearby condominium. Friends said she was as dutiful a mother as ever, handling the car-pool, showing up at all the school functions, shuttling her little son to karate lessons and her daughter to dance class.

But suddenly, they said, a freer, lighter Nicole Simpson also began to emerge. The transformation in her, friends said, was palpable.

"She became Nicole Brown , her own person," Fischman said. "She started all over again."

She got friendlier with old acquaintances, developing a cadre of perhaps half a dozen women friends--Fischman, Shahian, Westside socialite Faye Resnick, actress Robin Greer, and Chris Jenner (wife of athlete Bruce Jenner), among others. They were a stunning crew ("We're all pretty cute," laughed one Westside divorcee who developed a close bond with her on a trip to Cabo San Lucas. "When we went out to dance, we had to dance with each other to keep the wolves away.")

She threw potluck dinners by candlelight. She would drop the children at school and go jogging--six, nine, 10 miles at a clip--in skintight workout clothes. She would tuck the children into bed at night, recite the Lord's Prayer with them in German, and then leave them with a sitter while she went out dancing till last call. Bartenders would watch, mesmerized, as she hit the dance floor, dripping sweat, in her tank top and strategically ripped jeans, slapping down her platinum American Express for another round of Patron tequila.

Other nights, she would don a black mini-dress and meet her new girlfriends for dinner at Brentwood's Toscana restaurant, splurging on $150 bottles of Cristal champagne. Even so, what people remembered was her down-to-earth disposition.

"She was totally a real person," said an acting teacher who ran into her intermittently over the years. "She had nice things, but she treated her Ferrari the way other people treat their Volkswagen. She was such a no-attitude person."

Her friend Shahian added: "She was just so generous--with her money, herself. She'd have six, seven kids over there at a time."

Still, the legacy of the marriage cast its shadow. She couldn't help it. It was the standard against which she defined herself. Simpson detested smoking; she would sneak cigarettes. He was fastidious; she boasted about what a mess her new home was. During their marriage, he encouraged her to wear only the finest of clothes, deluging her with French Fogal stockings at $60 a pair. On her own, friends said, she had to be prodded to go shopping and showed up at black-tie dinners barelegged.

And Simpson, friends said, was ubiquitous. Affluence notwithstanding, Brentwood is a small town. Gossip echoes from every iron gate and grocery aisle. A five-minute drive could tell him if a stranger was parked in his ex-wife's drive. She could flip on the TV and see who was sitting next to him in the stands at a football game.

She dated, friends said, although the dates were few and far between. There was Keith Zlomsowitch, a restaurateur she had met in Aspen and later at Mezzaluna, a trattoria-style Brentwood watering hole. Friends said he doted on her, but she was not ready for a serious relationship. One night, they said, Simpson drove past her house and through the front window saw Zlomsowitch on the couch with her; she stopped dating him very soon thereafter.

(Zlomsowitch could not be reached for comment. His parents confirmed that he had once been briefly involved with Nicole Simpson and had been a pallbearer at her funeral.)

There were two other men as well, the friends said--an aspiring actor with whom she had a brief fling, and later, a tentative, six-month romance with a 24-year-old law clerk she had met in her divorce lawyer's office.

But about 18 months after leaving Simpson, she began seeing a counselor, one friend said, a man they had all heard about in Aspen who specialized in group therapy.

"We all went for a couple of months," the friend said, "and then Nicole went for the intensive, which was about $4,000, where she would go every day for, like, a month."

When she emerged, the friend said, she announced that she had made a decision: "She called me up and said, 'I want my husband back.' "

"She called O.J. up," the friend said. He refused to take the call, "so she drove over there in just her zoris and a little summer shift." He told her he was doing fine without her, but when she got home, he called to say he had changed his mind and wanted to reconcile.

Before long, their relationship was tempestuous again. "He broke the back door down to get in," she pleads on a widely aired 911 tape from Oct. 25, 1993. "He's f------ going nuts. . . . He's going to beat the s--- out of me."

On the tape, she tells the operator that Simpson had been leafing through her photo albums and had come across a picture of an ex-boyfriend (friends said it was Zlomsowitch).

On and Off Reconciliation

Still, the reconciliation continued, on again, off again, friends said. Now they were living at Rockingham; now she had bought a condo of her own. Now the relationship was doomed; now they were together for Christmas. Now she had had enough; now it was her birthday, and he had given her a platinum bracelet studded with sapphires and rubies and diamonds.

But a week after her birthday, Baur said, she gave back the bracelet and told Simpson that there would be no reconciliation and no hope of one.

"Nicole wanted to be free of him, she wanted to live her life with the children and raise them away from all this fiasco of the marriage," he said. "She wanted to have a happier, more peaceful life. . . . This time it was different. She really meant it and he knew it."

Afterward, he said, she seemed relieved. In a matter of days, Simpson was being seen with model Paula Barbieri, whom he had dated right after the divorce. Donna Estes, a writer and film producer who has known the Simpsons for the last six years, said she saw him with Barbieri at a Memorial Day golf outing, but that before dinner, Barbieri suddenly left.

Later, Estes said, Simpson confided that they had gotten into an argument when he confessed that he still loved Nicole.

But on the night before Nicole died, Simpson showed up at a black-tie event with Barbieri on his arm. Friends said Nicole was relieved when she found out: "She was happier than hell about it," said a woman who spoke to her on the night she died.

Still, the next day, at their daughter's dance recital, her friends said, Simpson and Nicole scarcely looked at each other. A friend who was there said she made it clear he would not be invited to the family dinner afterward.

As always, their friends said, they made a stunning pair, she in her backless black dress, he in silk shirt and jeans. Three folding chairs, wide as a demilitarized zone, marked the chasm between them as their little girl danced. In less than six hours, Nicole Brown Simpson was dead.

'There is no longer any violence in the eyes of O.J. Simpson,' October 6, 1968

 Nixon leads Humphrey in state poll

1968_october_06_simpson01 By Keith Thursby
Times staff writer

It's easy to pick apart an old profile of a famous person. The celebrity talks of hopes and dreams and you can see what went according to the script through the years and what went wrong. Charles Einstein's profile of O.J. Simpson in West magazine provides a window into Simpson's senior season at USC, when he would win the Heisman Trophy as the nation's top college football player. It's familiar territory but still interesting reading.

Eisenstein deals with Simpson's remarkable (and relatively short) career at USC and looks back on his 64-yard touchdown run the previous season against UCLA. There's even an artist's re-creation of the run that leaves no doubt the story was published in the 1960s.

But anyone reading about O.J. wants more than details about football.

Simpson talks about how the game changed his life. "I was somebody who didn't care about anything and the best thing you can say about me and trouble is that I was borderline," he tells Einstein. "Maybe I didn't actually do anything but I was there when it happened and that's all you have to be, is there. Then they pick you up anyway."

He also discusses how he'd like to eventually work with young people, probably in his old San Francisco neighborhood.

"In a way it will be good to have money because money is what impresses people who don't have any," Simpson says. "On the other hand, there'll be a problem because if my money comes from football what do I say to a kid who isn't an athlete? That if he studies hard he can be like me?"

The author says this is "a practical dilemma" for Simpson in part because of old friends who were gifted athletes but didn't get a college scholarship.

"The publicity mills at Southern Cal make a point of describing Simpson as 'humble.' If they are right, it is likely for a deeper reason than they know, for Simpson's humility does not masquerade as under-confidence," Einstein writes. "Instead, it reflects his admiration for the ability of others--including those who, perhaps through no fault of their own, didn't make it."

Page 2

Page 3
Page 4
Page 5 

Coming attractions-- Tour of Garfield Heights neighborhood

Photograph courtesy of the Garfield Heights Neighborhood Assn.
The Garfield Heights area of Pasadena (north of the 210 Freeway between Marengo and Los Robles avenues) will host a home tour Sunday, Oct. 5, noon to 5 p.m. Tickets are $15 and may be picked up at 1247 N. Garfield on the day of the tour.

Garfield Heights is the second-oldest neighborhood in Pasadena, according to the neighborhood association. Architectural styles include Victorian, Craftsman and Spanish revival with homes designed by Greene and Greene, Sylvanus Marston and Arthur Benton. 

More information is available at

Fixing what's wrong with baseball, October 4, 1958

What young women are wearing today: knee socks with patterns just like dad's. Hey look! It's Annette!

1958_october_04_sports By Keith Thursby
Times staff writer

Sometimes an idea needs a little time to pick up speed.

St. Louis sports journalist Bob Broeg strongly pitched the concept of interleague play as a way to revive baseball. The Times' Al Wolf wrote about his conversation with Broeg, identified as president of the "big league baseball writers' fraternity."

"I think the fans would eat it up," Broeg said. "Take Los Angeles for example. Your fans have seen all the National League stars now. The crowds might hold up and again they may not--especially when clubs like Cincinnati and Philadelphia come around again.

"But what kind of business do you think the Dodgers would do if the Yankees came to town for actual championship games? How about the Red Sox with Ted Williams? The White Sox with Billy Pierce and Nellie Fox? And so on."

He had me with the Yankees. And we all now know that if the Red Sox came to the Coliseum, about 115,000 people would show up. Just don't ask about parking.

Baseball finally warmed to the idea in 1997. As for The Times' Wolf, he was ready to start in 1959: "I buy it, Brother Broeg, and the sooner the better."

Nazis roll into Czechoslovakia, October 4, 1938

Triumphant Hitler enters with troops into the Sudetenland

Cheering crowds greet Nazi leader, shouting, 'We thank our Fuehrer!'


Films in production: Claire Trevor is cast is "Stagecoach."

Apes throw hand grenades

British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain defends his actions before the House of Commons, saying that the Munich conference had saved civilization "as we have known it."

Viciously criticized by British lawmakers, Chamberlain replies, "I have nothing to be ashamed of."

In New York, the Queen Mary arrives crammed with people fleeing Europe, including Douglas Fairbanks Sr.

And in Los Angeles, reports that the grand jury will investigate the Civil Service Commission.

Times leads in classified ads

At left, the text of Hitler's address to the Sudeten Germans.

"Never again will this land be torn away from the Reich."
--Adolf Hitler

"And so now we begin our march into the great German future and we want in this hour to thank the Almighty that he has blessed us on our path in the past and we want to ask him that in the future also he may lead our way to a bounteous Germany.

"Sieg Heil."


$30 weekly pension criticized


Critics besiege Chamberlain


Pictures from Czechoslovakia


Chicago celebrates Cubs' victory

Coming attraction -- Archives Bazaar

USC is hosting the third annual Los Angeles Archives Bazaar Oct. 25, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free.

La_as_subject Anyone who has researched Los Angeles history knows that the material is spread all over the city and not always in the most logical spot. For example, items from the early history of USC's medical school are housed at UCLA. The archives bazaar, sponsored by L.A. as Subject, is an annual gathering to show off Los Angeles history and provide a clearinghouse for researchers, whether they are working on a scholarly project or family genealogy.

The list of exhibitors shows the amazing diversity of the city's many archives and libraries. Of course, the better-known collections, like the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Autry National Center, Los Angeles City Archives, Los Angeles Public Library, and UCLA Special Collections, will be represented.

But that's only the beginning. Consider these groups, which will also be taking part:

Boyle Heights Historical Society; Chinese Historical Society of Southern California; Filipino-American Library; Japanese American National Museum; LA84 Foundation--Sports Library; Mayme A. Clayton Library and Museum; One National Gay and Lesbian Archives; Orange Empire Railway Museum; Society of California Archivists and the UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center Library and Archive.

The bazaar will also include screenings of films, presentations on genealogy, teaching sessions and  book signings by William Estrada, "The Los Angeles Plaza"; Jonathan Gold, "Counter Intelligence"; Carina Monica Montoya, "Filipinos in Hollywood"; Icy Smith, "Mei Ling in China City"; Jervey Tervalon, "Lita: All the Trouble You Need Understand This"; and J. Michael Walker, "All the Saints of the City of Angels." 

The Los Angeles Archives Bazaar will be held at USC Davidson Conference Center, 3415 S. Figueroa (at Jefferson Boulevard). Free. Parking at USC Parking Structure D is $8. Visitors can get free or discounted admissions to museums in Exposition Park.


Dodgers trade for Wally Moon, October 3, 1958


1958_october_03_moon By Keith Thursby
Times staff writer
Here's one story about a potential baseball trade that turned out to be right.

The Times' Frank Finch reported from the World Series in Milwaukee that the Dodgers were discussing a deal for St. Louis outfielder Wally Moon. The Dodgers, of course, were trying to rebound from a disappointing first season in Los Angeles.

Moon, a left-handed hitter, would turn out to be a great pickup, hitting 19 home runs in 1959 and becoming a fan favorite by golfing "Moon shots" over the Coliseum's left field screen.  Finch's story suggested that Moon "would fancy the right-field fence at the Coliseum after it's moved in next year." Moon was an all-star in 1957 and '59 and would play for the Dodgers through 1965.

Finch suggested that outfielder Gino Cimoli would go to the Cardinals. The trade didn't happen until December, with pitcher Phil Paine also coming to the Dodgers.

Another player mentioned in Finch's story was minor league second baseman George Anderson, who apparently was being sought by the Phillies. Anderson, better known these days as Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson, was expendable because he stuck behind second baseman Charlie Neal with the Dodgers.


Coming attraction -- Gem of the Ocean

Gem_ocean August Wilson's "Gem of the Ocean," the first drama in his 10-play cycle on the African American experience,  opens in previews Oct. 3-10 at the Fountain Theatre, 5060 Fountain Ave. The regular run of the play, set in Pittsburgh in 1904, begins Oct. 11 and ends Nov. 16. Tickets are $15-$30.

Democrats a threat to economy, Nixon says, October 2, 1958

Democrats want to raise taxes, Nixon charges.

Times reporter Ira Greenberg accompanies the vice president on an early morning stroll along Wilshire Boulevard and calls him "a swell guy."


Brigitte Bardot in "The Light Across the Street."

Eurailpass introduced

Vice President Richard M. Nixon addresses local Republicans at the Ambassador Hotel and urges them to vote the straight ticket.

"Whatever differences we have in the Republican Party are infinitesimal compared to the gulf between the basic philosophy that motivates this Republican administration with the basic philosophy that will control the economy if more Democrats are elected to Congress."

-- Vice President Richard Nixon

Yankees fan Anthony Albano watches the first game of the World Series (Braves, 4-3) from a 135-foot light pole in center field. It seems he couldn't get a ticket for the game. 

Democrats' 'rotgut thinking'


Braves take Series Game 1

Reading list, 1938

Shirer_diary I dug out my old copy of William L. Shirer's "Berlin Diary" the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see how much more I understood of what he was saying after going through all these 1938 newspapers. What had once seemed like a tedious rehash loaded with unfamiliar names took on new life after I immersed myself in The Times' daily coverage of European affairs.

For those who are interested in this era, I would strongly recommend "Berlin Diary" as an illuminating commentary on what's being posted on the Daily Mirror.

Another interesting account, by the way, is Howard K. Smith's "Last Train From Berlin," a book I discovered at a thrift store in Seattle many years ago. I'm sure my copy is in a box somewhere around the Daily Mirror H.Q. I'll have to look for it.

Rosh Hashana, 1954

Los Angeles Times file photo
Rabbi Julian Feingold of University Synagogue of Brentwood sounds the shofar as Cantor Samuel G. Broude, Sigmund Lample and Sanford Barbas watch in a photo published Sept. 26, 1954. The girl in the photo was unidentified. Feingold, the synagogue's first full-time rabbi, retired in 1963, according to "The American Synagogue."

Movie revival -- '2001: A Space Odyssey'

1968_0603_2001 Oct. 12, 2008, 6 p.m. The Edison downtown. Tickets $20.

 Stanley Kubrick's film based on the script written with Arthur C. Clarke.

Recommended on Facebook


In Case You Missed It...

Recent Posts
The Daily Mirror Is Moving |  June 16, 2011, 2:42 am »
Movieland Mystery Photo |  June 11, 2011, 9:26 am »
Movieland Mystery Photo [Updated] |  June 11, 2011, 8:06 am »
Found on EBay 1909 Mayor's Race |  June 9, 2011, 2:33 pm »