The Daily Mirror

Los Angeles history

« Previous Post | The Daily Mirror Home | Next Post »

Craby Joe's RIP

December 23, 2007 | 12:53 pm

April 23, 1953
Los Angeles


Craby_joes_sign02

1953_0423_craby_joes

Here's a tribute to Craby Joe's, the landmark on Bukowski Square, which is closing forever on Christmas Eve. Note the address: 654 S. Main St. According to the Los Angeles Public Library's online street directories, Craby Joe's address changed between 1956 and 1960 to 656 S. Main St., its current location. The phone number also changed from VA-4485 to MA 2-4940. According to the 1960 street directory, 654 S. Main was occupied by Pat's Donuts. In 1956, 656 S. Main was occupied by Cecil Jewelry and Loan Co., which sounds like a pawnshop. 

Comments 

Advertisement










Video