AT&T says attempted hacking was unsuccessful
AT&T Inc., the nation's second-largest wireless carrier, reportedly said it was the victim of an attempted hack attack.
The Dallas company sent an email to its customers Monday, stating that it was looking into an organized attempt to hack into the information of its wireless customers but that it had found no data breaches so far, according to a number of news outlets. Officials from AT&T were unavailable for comment Monday afternoon.
"We recently detected an organized and systematic attempt to obtain information on a number of AT&T customer accounts, including yours," AT&T said in its email, obtained by Bloomberg News. "We do not believe that the perpetrators of this attack obtained access to your online account or any of the information contained in that account."
AT&T also said in its message to subscribers that the attempted hack was going after the account information of less than 1% of its 100 million customers, according to the Associated Press.
The suspected attack appears to have used automated programs to try to match cellphone numbers with login information that could have been used to get into user accounts.
AT&T told Bloomberg the reported attack was not connected to but did follow a successful hacking of AT&T servers that resulted in the stealing of personal data from about 120,000 Apple iPad 3G users in June 2010.
-- Nathan Olivarez-Giles
Photo: AT&T signage at a company store in Chicago. Credit: Tim Boyle / Bloomberg