Technology

The business and culture of our digital lives,
from the L.A. Times

« Previous Post | Technology Home | Next Post »

Android top mobile OS in U.S., but Apple iPhone is most popular phone

July 28, 2011 |  8:55 am

Apple iphone

Google's Android operating system continued its dominance of the U.S. smart-phone market in June, but it was Apple and its ever popular iPhone that took the top spot among actual phones sold, according to new data from the Nielsen research group.

The Android OS powered 39% of smart phones in the U.S. last month, while Apple's iOS landed in second place with 28% and Research In Motion's Blackberry phones fell 1% from May to a 20% share of the market in third place, Nielsen said.

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 OS had a 9% share of the market in June, while HP webOS accounted for 2%, as did Nokia's Symbian.

In May, Nielsen's findings pegged Android at a 38% share, with Apple at a 27% share.

"However, because Apple is the only company manufacturing smartphones with the iOS operating system, it is clearly the top smartphone manufacturer in the United States," Nielsen said.

The Taiwanese company HTC was responsible for 14% of the U.S. smart-phone market with its Android phones and an additional 6% with its Windows Phone 7 handsets, Nielsen said. That combined 20% share of the overall U.S. smart-phone market, leaves HTC tied for second place in with RIM.

Motorola's Android devices are owned by 11% of smart-phone users in the U.S., while Samsung's Android devices are used by 8% of consumers and its Windows Phone 7 devices take a 2% share, Nielsen said.

Check out Nielsen's June data as presented in its graphic below.

Nielsen data on U.S. smartphone market

RELATED:

Smart-phone sales continue to surpass those of feature phones, Nielsen says

Apple's iPhone passes RIM's BlackBerry for second place in U.S. smart-phone market

Smart-phone market up 55% in 2011; Windows Phone OS could be No. 2 by 2015, report says

-- Nathan Olivarez-Giles
Twitter.com/nateog

Photo: A customer at an Apple store holds an iPhone in New York on April 28. Credit: Richard Drew / Associated Press

Comments 

Advertisement










Video