New technology aside, Willie Nelson still tops list of road-trip songs
What's on your radio?
That's the question Pioneer Electronics USA, which makes car navigation and entertainment systems, asked 3,000 travellers about to hit the highway for the holidays this year.
Willie Nelson’s “On the Road Again” grabbed the top spot in the list of favorite road-trip songs with 27% of the votes.
The rest of the rankings were:
2. “Born to be Wild,” Steppenwolf
3. “Take it Easy,” The Eagles
4. “I Get Around,” The Beach Boys
5. “Highway to Hell,” AC/DC
6. “Free Falling,” Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
7. “Riders on the Storm,” The Doors
8. “I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night,” Kiss
9. “Wanted: Dead or Alive,” Bon Jovi
10. “Free Bird,” Lynyrd Skynyrd
There was some variation depending on age and region. People from the Northeast as well as male respondents nationally favored “Born to Be Wild.” Singles between 18 and 34 listed “Highway to Hell” as their top pick.
“It’s cool to hear that the classics are still king, although now instead of cassette tapes, the tunes are delivered seamlessly through iPods, iPhones and other digital devices as well as satellite and Internet radio like Pandora,” said Ted Cardenas, director of marketing for the Pioneer's car electronics division.
-- Jerry Hirsch
Photo: Willie Nelson. Credit: Getty Images