Sports Now

Sports news from Los Angeles and beyond

Category: NCAA

Boise State cited for violations in five sports, including football

Boise State

This post has been corrected. See note at the bottom for details.

Boise State was placed on probation for three years and received other sanctions from the NCAA on Tuesday for major violations in several sports, including football.

Under the sanctions, the football team loses a total of nine scholarships through the 2013-14 season, six fewer than the program's self-imposed sanctions announced earlier this year. The Broncos will also be limited to fewer practices during the same time period.

The women's tennis, cross country and track and field teams will be prohibited from recruiting prospective international student-athletes for two years. Also, the women's tennis team is banned from postseason play for one year following the 2011-2012 season.

The NCAA said it found a lack of institutional controls necessary to fully comply with rules governing collegiate athletic programs. The case involved numerous violations involving more than 75 prospects and student-athletes in five sports during a span of five years, with the Division I Committee on Infractions noting a particular concern with the early arrival of international student-athletes who in some cases were not yet academically qualified to enroll full-time.

The committee also cited recruiting, impermissible-housing and transportation violations involving 63 prospects in the football program during the summers of 2005-09.

[For the Record, 2:53 p.m. Sept. 13: An earlier version of this post said Boise State’s team nickname was the Bulldogs. The school’s teams are known as the Broncos.]

ALSO:

Manny Ramirez out of jail, ordered to have no contact with wife

Bill Plaschke: Oakland Raiders could use some brains with their brawn

-- Chuck Schilken

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

USC football: Willie Mack Garza resigns from coaching staff

 Photo: Willie Mack Garza. Credit: Robert Lachman / Los Angeles Times. Willie Mack Garza, USC’s secondary coach, has resigned, citing personal reasons "unrelated to USC."

"I stepped down today from my coaching duties at USC," Garza said in a statement. "I have some personal issues unrelated to USC that I need to address. I wish the Trojans the best and I am sorry I won't be with them in what I know will be a very successful season."

USC is in final preparations for Saturday’s season opener against Minnesota at the Coliseum.

Garza was not at practice Thursday morning. Asked afterward why Garza was absent Coach Lane Kiffin said, "Willie's dealing with a personal issue. That's all I can say."

Asked if he was still a member of the staff, Kiffin reiterated that Garza was dealing with a personal issue. "At this time, right now, that's all that I can say."

Kiffin informed players of Garza's resignation via text message at noon.

Athletic Director Pat Haden could not be immediately reached for comment.

Garza, 42, came with Kiffin from Tennessee, where the 2009 coaching staff was recently found to have committed 12 secondary violations of NCAA rules.

Haden has spoken of creating a "culture of compliance" at USC, which is still on probation after being hit with some of the most severe sanctions in college sports history. The penalties included a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships over three years.

Garza played at Texas and was in his 18th season of coaching college football. He was a graduate assistant at Texas and also coached at Western Michigan, Texas Christian, Tarleton (Texas) State and North Dakota State before joining Kiffin’s staff at Tennessee in 2009.

Former USC and NFL safety Sammy Knight is a graduate assistant on the staff and could oversee the secondary.

More later at latimes.com/sports

ALSO:

Texas A&M says it's leaving the Big 12 Conference

Lane Kiffin gets no NCAA penalty for year at Tennessee

Houston quarterback Case Keenum returns with new outlook

-- Gary Klein

Photo: Willie Mack Garza. Credit: Robert Lachman / Los Angeles Times.

USC football: NCAA President Mark Emmert addresses questions about Trojans

Photo: Mike Emmert. Credit: David J. Phillip /Associated Press.

The Times' Lance Pugmire did a Q & A with NCAA President Mark Emmert.

Several of the questions pertained to USC and how its case related to situations involving former Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor and former Miami athletic director Paul Dee, who served as  chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Infractions.

Pugmire: What do you say to USC fans after you allowed Newton to play in the BCS title game, and Pryorto play in the Sugar Bowl when USC was banned from a bowl game because of something that occurred six years ago?

Emmert: Every case is unique. We look at facts as different and from different distances. It's natural to make comparisons, but I guarantee you usually don't know all the facts we consider.

Pugmire: In light of what has been revealed about Ohio State, Miami and other schools, did USC's punishment fit the crime when it basically involved one Trojan player and outsiders operating 100 miles away from Los Angeles?

Emmert: We haven't yet passed down penalties in those cases, so they can't draw conclusions. There are still allegations we haven't resolved.

Pugmire: How can the NCAA maintain credibility when a key member of its infractions committee [former Miami athletic director Paul Dee] was in office when the troubling events at Miami allegedly occurred?

Emmert: The chairman [Dee] was one of nine voices on the committee. He has no more power than anyone else. We look at individual cases on their merits. What happened at Miami has no bearing on USC. I understand it doesn't feel right. We decide cases based on the facts on the ground, and we will continue to do that.

MORE:

Trojans ready to dive into the regular season

It's change or else for the Bruins and Neuheisel

The Times' preseason college football rankings: No. 3 Oregon

--Gary Klein

Photo: Mike Emmert. Credit: David J. Phillip /Associated Press.

USC football: University president says school won't seek redress from NCAA

Usc3
With scandals having erupted at Auburn, Ohio State, Oregon and Miami since USC was hammered with NCAA sanctions in June 2010, Trojans fans have besieged USC officials and administrators with cries for retribution.

Or at least for relief.

On Wednesday, the same day that Trojans football Coach Lane Kiffin found out he would not be hit with NCAA penalties for secondary infractions while at Tennessee, USC President Max Nikias issued a statement in response to inquiries about whether the university would seek further review of its appeal of NCAA sanctions.

The penalties included a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 football scholarships over three years.

"I have determined that the university's mission is best served by moving forward at this time, without pursuing further redress," Nikias said. "This decision followed an extensive review of all of our options and after consultation with many sources. 

"We ask that the Trojan Family offer its utmost support to the student-athletes and coaches of the Trojan football team, confident that USC's commitment to the highest level of excellence in academics and athletics will not waver in the coming years."

RELATED:

USC Coach Lane Kiffin will not be penalized by NCAA

Tennessee won't get additional sanctions

Several defensive positions up for grabs at USC

-- Gary Klein

Photo: USC President Max Nikias. Credit: Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times

USC football: Lane Kiffin 'grateful' for NCAA decision

USC Coach Lane Kiffin.

Now that the NCAA's Committee on Infractions has announced that it found insufficient evidence to support findings of major violations by Lane Kiffin when he was at Tennessee, USC's coach is looking ahead.

Kiffin appeared before the committee in June as part of a broader hearing into Tennessee's athletic department.

The NCAA on Wednesday hit Tennessee with a so-called failure to monitor violation and two years of probation. Former Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl was cited for unethical conduct and was virtually banned from coaching at an NCAA school for three years. Each of his three former assistant coaches received similar one-year bans for major violations.

Kiffin will not be penalized for secondary violations committed by his staff at Tennessee.

Kiffin said in a statement that he was "very grateful that we were able to accurately and fairly present the facts in our case and that no action was taken against us. I'm pleased that the NCAA based its decision on the facts and not on perception."

USC Athletic Director Pat Haden, who attended Kiffin's hearing in Indianapolis, said, "I believe the NCAA's decision is fair and based on the facts presented. I'm glad this is behind us now and I know Lane feels the same way. From the time he arrived at USC, Lane Kiffin has been extremely compliant regarding NCAA rules and I feel confident that he will continue to be so."

More later at latimes.com/sports.

RELATED:

USC football: No sanctions for Lane Kiffin, according to report

Lane Kiffin won't be penalized for Tennessee actions, NCAA says

-- Gary Klein

Photo: USC Coach Lane Kiffin. Credit: Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times

Lane Kiffin won't be penalized for Tennessee actions, NCAA says

Kiffin620 

The NCAA's Committee on Infractions announced Wednesday that USC football coach Lane Kiffin did not commit major infractions during his short stay at Tennessee and that he would not be penalized.

"The committee concluded that the evidence was insufficient to support findings of major violations," the infractions report said. "However, the committee was troubled by the number and nature of the secondary infractions by the football coaching staff during its one-year tenure at the institution.

"From January 2009 through October 2009 the staff committed 12 violations, all connected to recruiting. Some of the violations received nationwide publicity and brought the football program into public controversy. This is not a record of which to be proud. Nevertheless, because the violations individually were secondary and most were isolated, the committee, in the end, determined not to make a finding of a major violation."

Kiffin could not immediately be reached for comment.

Kiffin appeared before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions in June as part of a broader hearing into Tennessee's athletic department.

The NCAA announced Wednesday that former basketball coach Bruce Pearl received a three-year show-cause order and each of his three former assistant coaches received one-year show cause orders for major violations.

The NCAA had alleged that Tennessee football staff members made 16 impermissible phone calls to recruits from Jan. 3 to Jan. 9, 2010 — calls that were made a month after the staff was informed they were impermissible.

Kiffin also was accused of allowing a recruiting intern to make impermissible off-campus contact with high school staff members after Tennessee's director of football operations told him that the intern was not permitted to enter a high school's property while accompanying a coach on a recruiting trip.

More later at latimes.com/sports.

ALSO:

Several positions up for grabs at USC

Return of Robert Woods energizes the offense

Understudy Trojans quarterbacks wait for their chance

-- Gary Klein

Photo: Lane Kiffin at USC practice. Credit: Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times

 

USC football: No sanctions for Lane Kiffin, according to report

Lane3
USC football Coach Lane Kiffin will not face sanctions for NCAA violations allegedly committed during his tenure at Tennessee, according to this report posted on the Knoxville News Sentinel's website.

Kiffin appeared before the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions in June as part of a broader hearing into Tennessee's athletic department.

The NCAA is expected to announce its ruling on Wednesday.

Citing "multiple sources," the report said, "The two major violations levied against the football program were found to be secondary violations and no further penalties were levied against the UT program, former coach Lane Kiffin or former assistant David Reaves."

More later at latimes.com/sports.

RELATED:

Several defensive positions are up for grabs at USC

Return of Robert Woods energizes USC's offense

-- Gary Klein

Photo: USC Coach Lane Kiffin. Credit: Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times

USC salutes Olympians in run-up to 2012 London Games

Usc_600
USC has begun a yearlong celebration of Trojan athletes who have participated in the Olympics with a salute themed “Cardinal and Gold Medal Heritage,” the school announced.

In the run-up to the 2012 London Games, USC will have displays and banners in Heritage Hall and introduce Olympians at sports events. Video vignettes to be displayed at stadiums and other events and programs also are planned.

Since 1904, 393 USC athletes representing 57 countries have competed in the Olympics, winning 122 gold medals, 76 silver and 60 bronze, the school said.

“We are extremely proud of our unparalleled Olympic heritage and, with the 2012 Olympic Games on the horizon, we felt it was important to salute and acknowledge that tradition,” USC Athletic Director Pat Haden said in a statement. “I know our fans will be as excited as I am to see our past and current Olympians and to relive the many successes that Trojan athletes have had in Olympic competition.”

MORE:

AEG wants no part of Coliseum Commission

Return of Robert Woods energizes USC's offense

Billionaire Ed Roski and the other NFL stadium idea

-- Gary Klein

T.J. Simers: Miami has problems, but USC still cheated

Usc3
This just in: USC is still guilty.

They were caught, they were cheaters and they couldn’t go to a bowl game last season, and won’t go again this season.

Get over it.

It has nothing to do with the University of Miami’s problems other than the fact that the joker who worked as the Hurricanes' former athletic director provides an immediate guffaw.

And no one needs a good guffaw like the USC football fan who just can’t seem to get past the fact his football program was tagged for cheating.

Dee is now being labeled a “hypocrite" for lecturing USC on its wrongdoings as chairman of the NCAA’s Infractions Committee while serving as Miami AD, but anyone who participates in name-calling from USC is one as well.

Dee’s involvement with USC is a nice piece of trivia, but USC’s problems were its own, and no matter who sat as chairman, the school was due for a spanking.

Continue reading »

How do the allegations against Miami affect former AD Paul Dee?

Hurricanes3
Writers from around the Tribune Co. discuss how the scandal involving Miami's football program might affect former athletic director Paul Dee, who was chairman of the NCAA infractions committee which imposed sanctions on USC. Weigh in with a comment of your own.

Chris Dufresne, Los Angeles Times

What should Paul Dee have known and when should he have known it?

The irony is not lost on USC fans. Dee was chairman of the NCAA infractions committee that sent the Trojans to Probation Island. The crux of the NCAA's argument was that USC should have known about violations involving Reggie Bush. "High profile athletes demand high profile compliance," Dee said.

Well, well. Dee was athletic director at Miami from 1993 to 2008. It was reported this week by Yahoo! that high-profile Miami athletes, from 2002 to 2010, were receiving lavish gifts from a shady booster now serving jail time for his role in a $930-million Ponzi scheme.

Dee wasn't the AD at Miami while he was sitting in judgement of USC, but these revelations are another huge blow to the NCAA's credibility. It exposes the hypocrisy and potential for conflict of interest when an organization tries to regulate itself.

We don't know what Dee knew while he was AD at Miami, but he told USC it should have known about Reggie Bush? Dee's time in intercollegiate athletics was already up, but the mess he leaves behind is everyone's mess.

Continue reading »

Paul Dee, who handed down USC sanctions, cited in Miami scandal

Miami logo USC fans were reeling last June when Paul Dee, then-chairman of the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions, oversaw the handing down of some of the most severe sanctions in college football history.

Now Dee is back in the news.

In a report on Yahoo!Sports, Charles Robinson details how imprisoned University of Miami booster Nevin Shapiro allegedly provided impermissible benefits to more than 70 Hurricanes athletes from 2002 to 2010.

Dee was Miami’s athletic director from 1993 to 2008.

Wrote Robinson:

Shapiro said he was enabled by the university, allowed to run the entire Miami team out of tunnel and onto the field -- twice -- and once honored on the field by former athletic director Paul Dee during a game. The same Paul Dee who wagged a finger at USC as the chairman of the NCAA’s committee on infractions in 2010, chiding the Reggie Bush/O.J. Mayo scandal as a systematic failure.

“High-profile players demand high-profile compliance,” Dee said while announcing USC’s sanctions.

Now Shapiro says Miami’s athletic compliance -- Dee’s own backyard while Shapiro was operating -- suffered one catastrophic oversight after another.

Continue reading »
Connect

Recommended on Facebook


Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video


About the Reporters
Sports Now is written by the entire Sports department of the L.A. Times.



Tweets and retweets from L.A. Times staff writers.

Categories


Archives
 


Bleacher Report | Los Angeles

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More on Bleacher Report »




Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists: