Nevada commission: Nick Diaz tested positive for pot
The Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday reported that UFC 143 main-event fighter Nick Diaz has tested positive for marijuana metabolites, with a complaint for disciplinary action filed.
Diaz, who lost a unanimous decision to Carlos Condit on Saturday in the UFC's interim welterweight title fight, spoke bitterly of retiring after the loss, defending the merits of his effort and his point that he instead deserved the judges' support.
Diaz has previously spoken of his need to smoke marijuana as a way to temper a diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. A former spokesman for the fight organization Strikeforce explained Diaz could say those things because he had a card to obtain marijuana for medical reasons.
But Nevada commission executive officer Keith Kizer said Diaz "never asked for a therapeutic-use exemption," and said he hadn't used any such substance within two weeks of his drug tests.
Condit earlier this week said he was willing to grant Diaz a rematch, and UFC Chairman Lorenzo Fertitta said he was exploring a May 5 date in New Jersey for the bout, with the winner fighting currently injured UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre most likely in the early fall.
Now, that fight is off the books, and Kizer said Diaz could be disciplined beyond the six-month suspension and 20% fine ($3,000) for his positive marijuana test in 2007 because of the previous slip.
Kizer said Nevada could stage a hearing for Diaz to defend himself against the allegations in April.
Photo: Carlos Condit, left, and Nick Diaz, right, stare each other down. Credit: Eric Jamison / Associated Press.